• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Problems getting Twitter on 3G

JesOakley

May 6, 2010
Hi folks,

My problem is that neither of my two Twitter clients (HTC Peep and Twidroyd) are working on 3G on my Desire (Froyo'd).

My symptoms are: Tweets not loading and if I try to go to my profile I get 'User not found'. For what it's worth, I did try clearing all my caches and reinstalling Twidroyd.

The fact that it works when I connect phone to broadband, and also works when I just use my PC suggests to me that the problem is actually with the 3G element rather than anything else. For some reason under 3G my account isn't accessible.

Does anybody out there have any clue about this? I have recently taken the Orange/T-mobile opt-in, could that have had any impact? Please can somebody tell me I'm being a dolt and I need to go into settings and tick the 'Get 3G to work with Twitter' check box. Failing that, any other help gratefully received.

P.S. I did notice an old post
HTML:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=545679
which covered similar ground, but it was over a year old and did not have a definitive solution.

Further to this, it would seem that my wife's phone (also Twidroyd, also on T-Mobile but a different phone) is doing the same i.e. no updates since midday! Further substantiating my view that something has happened at the T-mobile end. Could they be blocking it? Is anybody else affected?

Upvote 0
Latest update (not that too many people seem to care):
Wife's phone now fine, mine still bobbed.

Spoke to T-Mobile; they say everything is set correctly, try HTC.

Spoke to HTC: At least they weren't just reading a script, however they could see nothing obviously wrong.

Bottom line is Twitter apps work fine on Wi-Fi, but fail as soon as switch to 3G. General Internet surfing works fine all the time.
Interestingly; Facebook app works fine for News Feeds, but can't get notifications, which seems to tie-in.

HTC came up with the bright idea of trying a different SIM. So I shall try the wife's SIM later. I shall update this enthalling tale later.

Upvote 0
The latest:
Tried a different SIM card and - voila - it worked. So there's something up with my account setup is the only logical conclusion I can come to.
Back on the phone with T-Mobile but this time get past the dippy with the script to a proper technical person. Well I say 'proper'; in fact he says that my account looks to be okay, and he's never seen anything like it before. So he's recommending a full reset. Watch this space...

Upvote 0
So the technical guy goes off to check out how best to do a full reset, as HTC have removed their backup option. He'll call me back 'in 5 minutes - tops'.

20 minutes later, after no reply, I get ready to call back, but suppose I ought to quickly check. And of course it works! :D

So only ten seconds after I have checked Twitter, the phone rings and it's Mr T-Mobile Tech. 'What did you do?' I demanded. 'Nothing' he says, and goes on to profess gobsmackedness when I say that it has miraculously fixed itself only ten seconds earlier. 'I'll go and check the logs to see if there's anything that's happened to your account. I'll call you back 30 minutes - tops'.

I'm not going to hold my breath for the call back, but who cares - it appears to be fixed! Yee-ha!

Upvote 0
So the technical guy goes off to check out how best to do a full reset, as HTC have removed their backup option. He'll call me back 'in 5 minutes - tops'.

20 minutes later, after no reply, I get ready to call back, but suppose I ought to quickly check. And of course it works! :D

So only ten seconds after I have checked Twitter, the phone rings and it's Mr T-Mobile Tech. 'What did you do?' I demanded. 'Nothing' he says, and goes on to profess gobsmackedness when I say that it has miraculously fixed itself only ten seconds earlier. 'I'll go and check the logs to see if there's anything that's happened to your account. I'll call you back 30 minutes - tops'.

I'm not going to hold my breath for the call back, but who cares - it appears to be fixed! Yee-ha!

I'm having the same problem, just will not work on Mobile Network, works perfectly on Wifi, however i am on the G2 Touch (hero)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones