• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Pros and cons of encrypting phone

I expect to be using Open WiFi a lot during the next 6 months or so and would like to protect my data. Is encrypting a good way of doing it?

JM

Encryption is just to make the phone more secure from prying eyes. Will not have anything to do with secure connections over Wi-Fi. Any open network is a disaster for doing any purchases or banking and should not be done. Now if the connection requires a passcode then you should be safe.

Upvote 0
Using open WiFi is kind of like thinking about everything you do being displayed on a busy freeway billboard for all to see. You might sneak by undetected, but then... roll the dice.

Like Senor Walling says, if you have a https connection with authentication (username/password), you are likely fairly secure.
I understand and thanks to both of you. If I am on an OPenWiFi won't someone be able to steal my passwords as I use them? and, can they get into my browser (Chrome, Firefox) to access my saved passwords?

JM

Upvote 0
I understand and thanks to both of you. If I am on an OPenWiFi won't someone be able to steal my passwords as I use them? and, can they get into my browser (Chrome, Firefox) to access my saved passwords?

JM

It's possible for your passwords to be sniffed and compromised. AirSnort is a wireless LAN (WLAN) tool which recovers encryption keys. AirSnort operates by passively monitoring transmissions, computing the encryption key when enough packets have been gathered.

That being said, few people have the time and perseverance to do this, but it is still something you should be aware of.

And nobody can "get into" your browser and access saved passwords.

So, using any open and unencrypted WiFi source has it's security issues but being aware of what you're doing and how you're doing it will go a long ways towards keeping your data intact.

Upvote 0
It's possible for your passwords to be sniffed and compromised. AirSnort is a wireless LAN (WLAN) tool which recovers encryption keys. AirSnort operates by passively monitoring transmissions, computing the encryption key when enough packets have been gathered.

That being said, few people have the time and perseverance to do this, but it is still something you should be aware of.

And nobody can "get into" your browser and access saved passwords.

So, using any open and unencrypted WiFi source has it's security issues but being aware of what you're doing and how you're doing it will go a long ways towards keeping your data intact.

Well said!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones