• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Proximity sensor not working

flawless45

Apr 7, 2010
Anyone else having this problem? The proximity sensor seems to have a mind of its own, it works maybe 1 out 10 calls I make. Normally when I make a phone call and put the phone to my ear the display will stay on for maybe 5 to 10 seconds then turn off, once I pull the phone away from my ear I have to push the power key to turn the display back on whether still on a phone call or the if the call ended. I called sprint, no help at all. I went to a sprint store, they went through the display settings, it started working right, I asked what she did, she said she didn't know. what? I looked at the display setting and nothing was changed so I have no clue at this point. Please help!

Anyone else having this problem? The proximity sensor seems to have a mind of its own, it works maybe 1 out 10 calls I make. Normally when I make a phone call and put the phone to my ear the display will stay on for maybe 5 to 10 seconds then turn off, once I pull the phone away from my ear I have to push the power key to turn the display back on whether still on a phone call or the if the call ended. I called sprint, no help at all. I went to a sprint store, they went through the display settings, it started working right, I asked what she did, she said she didn't know. what? I looked at the display setting and nothing was changed so I have no clue at this point. Please help!

Welcome back Flawless,
The first question to ask is if there is a screen protector installed on the phone's screen. Screen Protectors (especially Anti-Fingerprint/matte finish) can make the proximity sensor freak out since the sensor is beneath the screen. If you have a screen protector make sure it has a cut out in the material to allow the sensor to operate properly.

See this diagram:
htcevo4gltesprintusergu.jpg

Troubleshoot:
*Be careful when poking around in these menus

On your phone open the dialer, like you are going to dial the phone number of a friend. Instead dial *#*#3424#*#* (*#*#DIAG#*#*). It will take you to the HTC Function Test application (v3.01.01g). On the white screen, press accept and look for the "P-Sensor Test". Press the check box and hit 'run' and it will take you through a test of the proximity sensor. This will help you further test the problem.

Please report back on what you find

(Anyone familiar with HTC's Function Test application, will notice they have changed it added more tests with Sense 4.0 ;))

Upvote 0

I had this same exact problem with my EVO and my EVO 3D til this very day. The proximity sensor will randomly come on and off during a call even when the phone is up to my ear. The only way for me to get the screen to stay off is to hit the power button to shut off the screen. I hope that this new EVO has this problem corrected and your issue is an isolated event.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Well it's happening again. I've been doing some testing and I've found that when it's dark or dim the sensor doesn't work correctly, it keeps dimming before I put my hand over it for the test. If I'm outside in the sunlight or next to a lamp it works exactly like it is supposed to. Anymore ideas? I'm stumped once again. Thanks again in advance.

Upvote 0
Well it's happening again. I've been doing some testing and I've found that when it's dark or dim the sensor doesn't work correctly, it keeps dimming before I put my hand over it for the test. If I'm outside in the sunlight or next to a lamp it works exactly like it is supposed to. Anymore ideas? I'm stumped once again. Thanks again in advance.

Thanks for the update. Have you installed/restored any applications since your factory reset? Could something installed be causing a software conflict?

Also, How much clearance around the sensor does the Screen Protector leave you (which brand/kind of protector is it) ? It sucks I know, and wastes a good screen protector but is there any chance you can remove the screen protector and go through the reset process again? Eventually seeing if the same problem happens without the protector at all?

While I'm leaning towards a hardware fault/bad sensor, I think it is important to rule out other variables first.

Upvote 0
I've always been pretty lucky with this... Both Evos I've had have been spot on with the proximity sensor... Now my Samsung Moment and my gf's Samsung stratosphere.... That is a different story.. Talk about annoying.... The proximity sensor nearly never worked when taking the phone away from my face.. My gf complains about this daily with her samsung... But both 3vo and ltevo have been awesome in my own experience

Upvote 0
Hey Flawless, you noticed any screen lifting in the corner where the sensor is located? (idea from XDA)

If you would like another place to follow this issue, see this thread over at XDA:
Proximity Sensor - A software issue? - xda-developers

I'm extremely disappointed to see that they stole my exact troubleshooting instructions word for word without notating this thread... :thinking::mad:

Upvote 0
My screen protector is the zagg one from best buy, I'd really hate to remove this thing if I don't have too. Here's a few other things I've come across. I also got both my parents the same phone and they have the exact same screen protector I have on mine, on my dad's phone the sensor is actually covered slightly by the screen protector but his phone works perfectly in light or dark areas. My mothers phone is not covered at all and it works like mine does with the sensor failing in dark or dim areas.
I checked *2 and there was only a PRL update there so I did that.
I don't have any raised screen corners anywhere on the phone or near the sensor so I don't think it's that, I tried pressing the corner in and nothing changed.
Thanks for the link PyroSporker, they really should have noted this thread originally, bummer. I'm glad to see others are having the same issue but disappointed at the same time that something so simple could go wrong on this phone but it figures.
I am debating on removing the protector and doing a reset once again but I don't want to download all my apps again, Isn't there an app for that? I remember using one 2 years ago on my OG 4g but never went back to it. I may wait and see if someone comes up with something else over the next day or 2.
Thanks again for everyone's help so far!

Reactions: PyroSporker
Upvote 0
Quick update:

I followed that link again that PyroSporker gave and it turns out the screen protector is covering the proximity sensor, it's hidden just to the left of the light sensor. I used razor blade and cut just a little back to expose the sensor and now everything is working perfectly! thanks again everyone!

Upvote 0
Quick update:

I followed that link again that PyroSporker gave and it turns out the screen protector is covering the proximity sensor, it's hidden just to the left of the light sensor. I used razor blade and cut just a little back to expose the sensor and now everything is working perfectly! thanks again everyone!

I was kind of figuring this from the beginning.
Glad you got it all worked out. :)

Though some people may like their product, personally I'm chalking this up as yet another reason to hate Zagg. They are just terrible!
(their only small positive I will give them is that they allow free lifetime replacements and stick by their product, even if it is shoddy)

Reactions: PattiCakeUS
Upvote 0
Quick update:

Thank you everyone for this thread, I was having the same problem too. I took it back to best buy and told them I think the ZAGG is messing it up. The girl took it off, and it worked perfectly. She even put a new one on at no charge, and it still works.

Upvote 0
Good thread.... I am having the same issue. I've only run a screen protector for the first week when I had my Hero. Never since... The Best Buy guy said I'd LOVE it and never know it was there. He said he'd give me my money back if I brought it back within 30 days. Tomorrow will be 11 days. I'm taking it in for removal and to get a refund. Thanks for pointing it out.
Erick

Upvote 0
I believe the proximity sensor uses an IR beam... And even if a screen protector looks clear to our eyes, that doesn't mean that IR passes through the same way that visible light does. As I recall, zagg protectors are one of the thickest covers out there, and it wouldn't surprise me if it unintentionally had some reflective/refractive properties in the IR band.

Now you know why some protectors have cutouts. Sometimes, function trumps form for very good reason.

Upvote 0
I can see the P Sensor through the cutout in mine. If that's what it is, it's definitely on the edge of the cutout. Either way, he talked me into getting one. Said I could have my money back if I brought it in and said I didn't like it. I'll let you know in an hour when I get off work! :D
For the record, I'd get it removed today even if it weren't causing issues with the proximity sensor. Me no likey.
Erick --

Upvote 0
Fyi for anyone not sure exactly where this sensor is:

You can't see the sensor unless you put it in test mode in a dark room. Follow the steps PyroSporker wrote out in post #3 and you will see a dim red light to the left of the light sensor.

Also, I left the screen protector on as is on my father's phone because it did not affect his the way it did my mother's and mine. Still strange how only some phones are doing this and others are not.

Upvote 0
For those visual learners out there:
pyrosporker-albums-prox-picture6265-prox.jpg

The sensor bay is 1/8" wide and each half is ~1/4". The right half with the whitish Ambient Light Sensor is easily seen almost anytime. The left half is inset further and has a dark color. Difficult, near impossible, to see unless you add some exterior light or make a fake call with the phone not to your ear (a faint red glow can be seen)

My apologies for the quality. Photo taken with an Evo 3D while holding an LED flashlight. + MSPaint Skillz :D :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones