• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

proximity sensor

I had a problem with the proximity sensor acting up on my Rezound. I could not push keys while making a phone call, the screen would go blank. For my phone I got one of those can air cleaners and blasted the area around the ear speaker (top of phone). Seems like dust collecting in that area upsets the proximity sensor to think I have the phone against my ear. I have to do this every 6 months. I realize that this will not work for people with failed proximity sensors but it worked for me.

Reactions: Dmark and BlueBiker
I had a problem with the proximity sensor acting up on my Rezound. I could not push keys while making a phone call, the screen would go blank. For my phone I got one of those can air cleaners and blasted the area around the ear speaker (top of phone). Seems like dust collecting in that area upsets the proximity sensor to think I have the phone against my ear. I have to do this every 6 months. I realize that this will not work for people with failed proximity sensors but it worked for me.
This is a "known issue" with many Rezounds, dust gets in from hear the earpiece opening, air will often seem to fix it, but remember you are just moving the dirt (not REMOVING it) farther down which could cause issues with the touchscreen in spots later.

Screen protectors and cases can also interfere with the Proximity Sensor.

People with failing or mis-calibrated sensors who have root on any ROM, can use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.incredicontrol.ProxSensorCalibrator to recalibrate the sensor to work in many occasions... however once the sensor fails completely, it is gone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones