• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Public Mobile] LTE Phone on Public Mobile?

platinum80

Lurker
Jul 17, 2013
I have a Public Mobile N860 (Warp) and recently installed the Voltron OC ROM. I am very impressed that there is a community developing for the smaller carrier.
I am now wondering if Sprint phones that have Band 25, which includes the G band that Public Mobile uses, could be modified to work on Public Mobile.
I have not been able to find a definitive answer here or anywhere else online.
Thanks in advance.

Essentially you have to flash the meid from a Public Mobile phone on to the phone you want to use. Threads with proper instructions on how to do so are scarce because these instructions could be use illegally to clone someone’s phone and piggyback on there service or worst for fraudulent reasons...

EDIT: FYI Voltron OC will get an overhaul soon... ;)

Upvote 0
I have purchased a Sprint Samsung Galaxy Victory. After some research and experimenting, I was able to connect the phone to the computer. (I will leave out which programs I used so as not to violate and rules here). I replaced the phone's PRL file with a Public Mobile one (version 10008), hoping this would force the phone to connect to Public's network instead of roaming on Bell / Telus. This didn't work.
I think I know why:
Sprint uses the G band for their LTE network but LTE is currently used for data only. Their LTE phones still use the 3G CDMA frequencies for voice. So, the phone is not looking at Public's G band for a voice connection.

Is there a way I can force the phone to use its LTE frequency for voice?

What file in the phone tells it which frequencies to operate at for voice?

Upvote 0
I think that would be in the kernel somewhere

I wonder... I'm stipulating but I'm thinking more the amss... but you can try something else with the radio that might help... if you you are using adw or holo or any launcher that lets you make a shortcut to activities, Make a shortcut to testing under settings. so in adw you press menu->custom shortcut->pick your activity->activities->settings->testing. then once you have your shortcut, select phone information from that menu and try setting the phone to lte/evdo/cdma or try different things to see if it gives you a reaction...

Reactions: platinum80
Upvote 0
@smartmanvartan
I made the "testing" shortcut as you suggested. I can change the network but it doesn't seem to stick; when I exit and go back in it is still "LTE/CDMA/EVDO."
When I press the menu button on the phone, there is an option to "Select radio band." When I select that the phone hangs and force closes with "com.android.phone has stopped."

Side note: The ZTE N861 launched today. Let me know if you want access to the phone's files...

Upvote 0
@smartmanvartan
I made the "testing" shortcut as you suggested. I can change the network but it doesn't seem to stick; when I exit and go back in it is still "LTE/CDMA/EVDO."
When I press the menu button on the phone, there is an option to "Select radio band." When I select that the phone hangs and force closes with "com.android.phone has stopped."

Side note: The ZTE N861 launched today. Let me know if you want access to the phone's files...

I have the n861... ;)..Had it for two weeks....:p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones