• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Push notifications

MRW1215

Mar 18, 2011
I'm just curious about them, in general. From what I gather, instead of your device checking periodically for new information, push notifications are when apps/ services push the information to your device, correct? Seems like push notifications would be a lot more beneficial to battery life, because apps wouldn't be having to regularly check for new data. So, why does it seem like not a lot of (useful) apps offer push notifications?

I know Facebook does, and I love that. I thought I read that Twitter had gotten a recent update that allows for push notifications, but I couldn't find anything in the app's settings for such. I also prefer using the stock Email (I have a Galaxy Nexus) app over GMail, and it'd be really neat if said email app could just push notify me when I have new emails instead of having to check every so often.

Is there some drawback to push notifications that I'm not aware of? Is there some reason more apps/ services don't use them?

If you use the dedicated Gmail app it will do push email and notification. The regular stock email client will not, it must use polling. Unfortunately, the Gmail app works for Gmail only.

If you use IMAP instead of POP3 for other email accounts you can do a sorta-kinda push email. It's really not true push email, though. For more info lookup IMAP in Wikipedia.

Upvote 0
If you use the dedicated Gmail app it will do push email and notification. The regular stock email client will not, it must use polling. Unfortunately, the Gmail app works for Gmail only.

If you use IMAP instead of POP3 for other email accounts you can do a sorta-kinda push email. It's really not true push email, though. For more info lookup IMAP in Wikipedia.

Hm. Well, I have two GMail accounts, but my main e-mail account is via my home ISP, ATT, and I think their e-mail service uses POP.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones