• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Q] Charging via USB vs wall socket

asp2010

Jul 22, 2010
Hello!

Ever since I got my One X I've been doing a bit of reading on Li-Ion/Li-Po batteries, as I wouldn't want this one to end up like my old Desire, which shuts down at about 18%, no matter what I do.

I have come to the conclusion I should keep the battery between 20% and 80% and perform a full charge-discharge about once every couple of months, which means I now charge it two times a day, trying to keep it in the 40-60 range for most of the time, instead of charging up to 100% and going down to about 10%.

What I haven't got an answer to is which way of charging is the best for long-term battery life: USB or AC charging? It does take about twice charging it from USB and the current is just about half than AC, but I didn't notice any difference between how long it lasts. I have seen people saying USB is better since the current is lower, thus the battery doen't heat up that much, which leads to less damage. However, my phone shows 32-34

I rarely charge over USB and always do it via a wall socket (if possible). From what I read a while back, the whole discharging whilst it has charge flowing to it is very bad for Lithium batteries and should be avoided at all costs.

Fwiw, I followed a similar pattern of charging with my old Desire HD as you've mentioned above and the original battery on that is still going strong so the above works (or appears to anyway) in prolonging battery life.

Reactions: asp2010
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones