• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Q] Screen display timeout == killed processes?

shamufish

Lurker
May 13, 2011
When the screen timeout (in android settings) triggers,all processes are stopped (not suspended, stopped). You can reproduce this by going into say, a file explorer and try to zip up a very large folder, such as the gameloft folder if you have their games (I use ES file explorer). Or you can launch a download in Dolphin browser. Then wait for the screen to timeout.

Once the screen as timed out, wake the phone, and you'll find:
- any zipping operation has abruptly been stopped (in my case the .tmp file is even left behind, proving it's not even a clean exit)
- all downloads are stopped

So, my question is, short of having to set the screen display timeout at 10 minutes, is there a way around this? Or is this a 'feature'?

I'm using an SGS2 on 2.3.4 (cog rom) by the way. Don't think that makes any difference though, I had the same problem with 2.3.3 stock.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones