• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Q: Where are my contacts stored?

oldjuju

Lurker
Oct 30, 2010
Hi all,

Initially I setup Exchange active sync, but contacts wouldn't sync and I had to use HTC sync to manually sync them. Recently, after a root/froyo upgrade, they would sync via active sync. I used the "People" app as my main contacts list.

All was working fine up until last night when I was playing around with security settings and went into the Device Administrators section. I canceled back through the screens but it still deleted my Exchange account.....I'm 99.9999% certain that I canceled that screen. Ok, no harm done, I managed to set it up again.

On syncing the Exchange active sync the first time, all of my calendar items doubled up, so I manually cleared them and manually cleared my contacts also (just to be safe).

The next Exchange active sync worked for my mail and calendar but failed for some reason for contacts. This did start syncing later, but didn't appear to do anything.

My "People" app showed no contacts. Not long later, some contacts showed up, but surprisingly, they were my family contacts. I don't know where they came from. They are not on the SIM (the SIM doesn't contain any contacts). Currently my "View" for People shows:
SIM (9) - unticked
Google (0) - ticked
Show auto Gmail contacts - ticked
Phone (0) - unticked
Facebook for HTC Sense (139) - unticked

Based on these settings, no contacts should show in People.

The "Contacts" app shows the same family contacts, but also a couple of extras that were added to the "Favourites" group.

Now the really confusing part is: the "Search People" app has ALL of my lost contacts. They also all appear when I start the "Phone".

I also added a new contact, but it didn't show in "People". It does appear in the "Search People" though. I think it may have been synced to Exchange.

So can anyone help with with finding where they are stored? They are clearly on the phone.
How can I get these contacts to appear in my People app again?

Thanks in advance.
I am running HTC Desire with the LeeDrOiD_V2.2a_NoA2SD.zip rom.

Ok, only a couple of hours of investigation last night and this morning and thought I'd bit the bullet and ask the community.

No sooner had I done that I have found the answer!

The "Contacts" app has different options.
1. Open Contacts
2. Hit menu and select "Display Options"
3. Scroll to the bottom and I found my exchange email address with "Phone-only (unsynced) below it.
4. Expand that and tick "All Other Contacts"

Now ALL of my contacts display in the Contacts app and they also show in People.
I now also see the option to view Exchange ActiveSync contacts in People.....this wasn't there before.

I hope this helps some other lost soul!

Upvote 0
I'm about try and sort out my Exchange ActiveSync contacts, so have been reading this with interest. I have the same situation as Km76, there is no "Display Options" under the People app.

I'm opening the People app from a shortcut on the home screen, and get the same view if I open from All apps. When I press menu, there are 5 buttons at the bottom of the screen:

Add Contact
View
Delete
Import/Export
Company Directory

The "View" button produces a list similar to the one oldjuju reproduced [SIM (0) etc.]. Mine does currently include an entry for Exchange ActiveSync, which his didn't.

This is with unmodified Orange branded V2.2

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones