• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Qlink HTC Desire 510 root questions

I have this phone though Qlink, and rooted it. Got the unlock code from HTC, flashed TWRP, and flashed supersu from there. Root checker app confirms I have root, but some strange things are going on.

Firstly, AdAway is behaving strangely. If I download and apply the ad blocking files and reboot the phone, it's as if I did nothing. AdAway shows blocking isn't enabled, ads still appear. It seems I have to re-apply it every time and not reboot the phone.

Root App Deleter doesn't delete apps. I tried getting rid of Facebook etc, but it always says uninstall unsuccessful. If I force uninstall, the icon for the app in question goes away from the app tray, but it comes back after reboot.

The Play Store also behaves strangely. At one point I was unable to get into it, but I did the force stop/clear cache thing and I was able to get back in... but it only shows apps I installed myself. None of the apps already on the phone appear there.

Hello Downgraded286. Sorry for the late reply. Did you get a write-protect removed kernel? The problem with apps not uninstalling can be fixed by getting one.

I don't know much about AdAway. I use Adblock Plus https://downloads.adblockplus.org/adblockplusandroid-1.3.apk. I don't think it works for Chrome, but it's pretty good for other apps.

Is your Play Store still acting up?

I've never heard of Qlink. Thanks for mentioning it. I'll check it out.

Upvote 0
No, I didn't change the kernel. The phone definitely needs some root app delete though, the entire 4GB storage space is all used up without even installing anything else. Could the kernel have something to do with AdAway's funky behavior as well?

The Play Store seems fine now. I don't know what happened, but a couple days later it just up and started acting normally again.

Qlink is one of the places supplying the free government phones. We would up with this one after a while, and I'm trying to find ways to make it better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones