• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Q's about my rig- Backups

Reactions: Mehta23
Upvote 0
So I'm still owed an Xmas prezzie from my parents. Up to £100 I think. Not sure really what to get / what's with getting.
And I might just buy some extra thinks if they're beneficial.

Computer related options :

Fans
New heatsibk
Keyboard
Mouse
SSD

Gagety things

Kindle (dunno if it would make me read more)
Tablet (like a nex 7)

Or I could ask for money to offset the cost of my new rig.....?

Upvote 0
Yeah, but the decision is too hard!!!!

I thought a tablet would be nice when I CBA to go on my PC, and will be quiter for when I'm studying and I just need to read an e-book...

But I'm also thinking if I get an SSD and put the OS on it, everything will be much quicker, and the HDD might be quieter... so I could have my computer on while I'm studying.

I could find a

Upvote 0
The more the better IMO. You'll want to put certain programs to load faster over the SSD, not just the OS. Something like a game or two, or some of your most used programs.

Think of it this way, you'll be unlikely to regret having extra room, but there is always the possibility of regretting that you didn't buy enough room for your needs.

My SSD is currently sitting at 226GB free of 476GB (so 250GB used).

Another thing to note is SSDs reserve a portion of the drive for wear leveling. So my 512GB SSD is really a 476GB SSD.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I guess... 120GB it is then. Hopefully I can get one for < £70.

Also, I looked at the £69 Kindle, and it looks like I'd prefer the Touch(no longer sold) or the Paperwhite - £109.

But with that cheaper SSD I could still get both for around the same price as a Nexus. Although I must just leave the Kindle and just a SSD and some case fans.

Still need a new k/b and mouse, but ( damn you Amazon ) they put their prices up, and I'm waiting for them to goo down in price :/

Edit: Found some nice looking SSD's, but I'll post them in the SSD thread...

Edit : Question : I only have one 3 pin fan socket available on my motherboard. If I want to add another 2 fans, can anything be done?

Upvote 0
Edit : Question : I only have one 3 pin fan socket available on my motherboard. If I want to add another 2 fans, can anything be done?

You can run fans right off the PSU with some kinda of cable adapter -- though I don't know if they make them now or not (I would think they do, I just havent looked). You just wouldn't have any speed control.

I have a few fans running that way now with a molex -> 3 pin adapter

Something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812196462

Upvote 0
Hi,

I see earlier you had an issue with your GTX 670? Was this resolved? If not, please send me a PM or email webmaster@evga.com so I can help get you sorted out. I am in the US, but I communicate daily with our Europe team. The above goes for anyone with an issue with an EVGA product. Please specify in your email (if that is what you opt to do) that you were referred by me from AF.

Thanks,
Rob

Upvote 0
Thanks again./ Now I'm really glad I returned my MSI PE cards and got a EVGA card instead!

Just a little FYI, that I didn't know. When I tried to index my folders, I may have accidentally indexed everything. The Windows Help and Support thing says that indexing too much actually makes things slower, which may be the reason my PC is sometimes slow ( and why the Windows Experience Index is low - 5.9)

Upvote 0
Right. I decided to do a quick memtest, and a quick Tessy stress test.

They seemed fine.

Right now, I am folding, and to my amazement, my card isn't making that loud, high pitched sound! All I can hear are the fans and the air being pushed out.

EVGA Precision shows the card at 1175Mhz, with 96% power.

Edit: I guess I spoke too soon. It turns out I can hear the noise, but it's not very loud. Although the fans do sound like a washing machinel :p

But still, if this is how my card is going to perform, I am more than happy. Of course, I'l have to sort out the instability and BOSD's....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones