• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Quesiton about SBFing and ROM kernal numbers

D3kTrix

Lurker
Dec 28, 2011
Right now my Droid X is running OTA 2.3.3 4.5.605

I want to root it and run APEX 2.0.0 RC4
My question is this ROM says it requires Kernel:
2.6.32.9-g34b306d
tkwp86@ca25rhe81 #2

And my phone is currently:
2.6.32.9-g34b306d
bmvq37@zin2lnxdroid28 #1

First line matches, second line does not. Does this matter?
Baseband and everything else matches.

ALSO, since this custom ROM is .605 and I'm currently running .605, do I still need to SBF my phone before loading the ROM? Or formatting and clearing the cache will do it? My understanding is I would only need to SBF if the base versions were different, or do you still need to wipe it clean because I'm coming from an OTA ROM? Just want to double check.

I'm sure these questions have been answered before, read most of the sticky's and was still a little unclear.

Thanks

nothing wrong with asking questions bud.

You should be able to just flash that rom over your current system. Just make sure you follow the instructions on that Rom's page.

it will probably tell you to do a factory wipe or wipe cache. Still do those. Your correct the SBF part for you is not a problem. You would have to do that if you were on a diff base version like you said.

As with anytime you do something like this make sure you make a nandroid backup with CWM before doing any modding.

Upvote 0
pro tip

once you get Liberty set up the way you like it. Do another nandroid backup in CWM. Then go and rename that backup to something like "liberty3v2" Then when you start trying different Roms and you want to go back to Liberty3v2 all you have to do is get back to a base Liberty 3v2 build and then flash that recovery :) and your back to a good known state.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones