• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about 4G in Raleigh NC

We are all neighboors, but the question is are we all from NC or did we migrate like everyone I know. lol
Oh, I quite literally meant that I'm right up from the Morrisville Pkwy/Davis drive intersection. Anyways, Ohio-> Pinehurst-> Cary. Been in the Cary area for a little over 2yrs now. Sounds to me like all we have here are a handful of "damn yankees" :D

Anyone know of any other 4G android phones that are supposed to be coming to Sprint soon? The Evo definitely seems to be the way to go after build 0004 hits the shelves, but it would be good to know if there's something in the wind that may be worth looking into.

Upvote 0
Oh, I quite literally meant that I'm right up from the Morrisville Pkwy/Davis drive intersection. Anyways, Ohio-> Pinehurst-> Cary. Been in the Cary area for a little over 2yrs now. Sounds to me like all we have here are a handful of "damn yankees" :D

Anyone know of any other 4G android phones that are supposed to be coming to Sprint soon? The Evo definitely seems to be the way to go after build 0004 hits the shelves, but it would be good to know if there's something in the wind that may be worth looking into.

Oh great! somebody to compete with for the *one* tower's bandwidth in the neighborhood ;)

I can only get reliable reception when I am on the second floor of my house. Downstairs, it's hit or miss. I'm just off the about-to-be-connected Morrisville Pkwy extension. I'll try to check 4G reception when I drive to work tomorrow to see how it is outside the house.

Oh, and BTW: I'm an expat too, from even further north: Canada. Been here for over a decade.

Upvote 0
Lake Boone Traile and Blue Ridge.

My internet is down so using the hotspot on the EVO. speed test was 3.19mps down and .69 up. I only have one bar 4g.

Truth is 3g you will get 1 -1.2mbs pretty consistantly. 4G is really flaky here. It doesn't seem to work most places and if it does you get 1 bar tops. Sprint said they are hoping to have it at 100% in the area by September.

Build off where I left off. I can get 2-4mbs at my house. My cable internet was down and didn't have an issue using the hotspot for wifi for work.

However, I was downtown on Fayettville and got full 4G signal and was averaging 1.6 - 1.8mbs.

Upvote 0
For those near Wake Tech NORTH on 401 near 540 the closest 4G tower is off Capital Blvd near the Hardees. Coverage is very iffy for us at this time. There is hope. There is a tower off of 401 near Wake Tech North. It's just not 4G yet. I got a reply from a Clearwire guy about coverage. He basically said where I live (across the street from Wake Tech North) is 1.3 miles from the closest 4G tower and coverage is on the edge of reception. When you get beyond 1 mile things like trees mess things up. And wouldn't you know it. My neighborhood is filled with old growth trees. :eek:

Upvote 0
For those near Wake Tech NORTH on 401 near 540 the closest 4G tower is off Capital Blvd near the Hardees. Coverage is very iffy for us at this time. There is hope. There is a tower off of 401 near Wake Tech North. It's just not 4G yet. I got a reply from a Clearwire guy about coverage. He basically said where I live (across the street from Wake Tech North) is 1.3 miles from the closest 4G tower and coverage is on the edge of reception. When you get beyond 1 mile things like trees mess things up. And wouldn't you know it. My neighborhood is filled with old growth trees. :eek:

that is good to hear as wake tech is right across from my sub div also lol.

ill get 1 to 2 bars in my house maybe 10% of the time! the rest is just 3g

Upvote 0
I can see the Rolesville Sprint tower from my house in WaFo. I have full bars 3G, no 4G but it's not too surprising considering Rolesville went from 1 to a whopping 3 stop lights in the 5 years I've been here.

My office is on Six Forks across from Allscripts (Misys), but I haven't tried 4G in that area.

It's Allscripts now (just merged with Eclpsys) and bought controlling share (I work in the area) butttt....there is zero 4g coverage in that area.

Upvote 0
I can see the Rolesville Sprint tower from my house in WaFo. I have full bars 3G, no 4G but it's not too surprising considering Rolesville went from 1 to a whopping 3 stop lights in the 5 years I've been here.

My office is on Six Forks across from Allscripts (Misys), but I haven't tried 4G in that area.

my wife works behind allscripts for suntrust and lastweek i was parked outside waiting for her and had 1 bar 4g max

It's Allscripts now (just merged with Eclpsys) and bought controlling share (I work in the area) butttt....there is zero 4g coverage in that area.

might wanna ck the area there is 4g.

Upvote 0
raleigh here also...the 4g speeds freaking rock over in cameron village...bestbuy parking lot in knightdale awesome 4g speeds and sporatic throughout the city of ral!

i live off 540/401 and get crap in 4g.

raleigh just needs better 4g speeds here! imo it SUCKS!

I also live off 540/401N Across from Lowe's Food Shopping center and 4G is nonexistent. 3G is pathetic and ranges from .2mbps - .8mbps download with uploads an even more pathetic .01mbps - .08mbps!

I loved the idea of my evo, but wireless tethering is much ado about nothing and Sprint should not charge us the $10 premium network whilst not providing said premium network. Even when driving towards Downtown Raleigh speed tests while wirelessly tethered to my Lenovo X201T (Using Unrevoked/Rooted Evo/RC1 Wireless Tether App) I get sporadic and inconsistent speeds while stationary in parking lots outside in my car for both 3g and 4g! Rarely is 4g connecting long enough to be of any use. Add this to the non-existent battery life and you have to wonder what the point of wireless tether is when you have to keep the thing charging at all time when using the phone as a wifi router (or using at all for that matter ~ epic fail). You might as well skip wireless tether and Charge the evo via USB while using wired tethering which is suppose to be faster and less precarious than wireless tethering which is tedious and frought with caveats and issues. (Word of advice set the Wireless Channel to 1 (Not auto & not 6) this will prevent disconnects! Upgrade to the RC1 version of Wireless Tether App (The one with the GREEN WIFI SYMBOL) The experimental releases lockup and sometimes require a complete shutdown or battery pull to get back to stable.

I think I will move over to verizion LTE, but only if they lift the 5GB restriction from LTE and their rollout is not as abyssmal as Sprint pathetic roll out of 4g with ONE fricking tower in the RTP area!!!

Im so disgusted that I am considering a Windows 7 Phone. Screw Gooogle, HTC, & Sprint...a trifecta of dissappointments. :(

Upvote 0
Had full bars 4G while at Meridien Office Center near Southgate Mall and at the Doubtree in that complex. Had 4G at Southgate Mall. 4G in downtown Raleigh at some BBQ restaurant. Never had an issue with it. I'm not from the area so my expectations were low and greatly exceeded. Did not have much 4G while in Durham or at Duke - signal was mostly off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones