• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Question about bluetooth and ford sync

steve6884

Nov 20, 2010
I have had nothing but problems getting the captivate to stay synced with my car which is a Mercury Mariner. It will connect but then usually disconnect at some point in the next 5-20 minutes. I am thinking about buying a bluetooth earpiece because I really need something to use while I am driving. My question is if it wont stay connected to my car does that mean it wont stay connected to an earpiece either? If I should have better luck with the earpiece has anybody found a reasonably priced one that they are happy with? Thanks for any help

I have a Motorola earpiece. I use it all the time and have never had a problem with it cutting out. (I drive a '96 Bronco and definitely need both hands on the wheel.) However, if you are running 2.1, you will not have voice dialing. (I had that with my old Razr 4 years ago, but we have to wait for 2.2 for Android voice dialing.) I've also found that it is easier, for me at least, to turn the telephone bluetooth on when I get into the car. Once it is on, my earpiece connects automatically. If you forget and turn the earpiece on first, I seem to recall having to go to settings, network settings, etc. to get it on.(Yeah, a PITA.)

Reactions: steve6884
Upvote 0
I have a Motorola earpiece. I use it all the time and have never had a problem with it cutting out. (I drive a '96 Bronco and definitely need both hands on the wheel.) However, if you are running 2.1, you will not have voice dialing. (I had that with my old Razr 4 years ago, but we have to wait for 2.2 for Android voice dialing.) I've also found that it is easier, for me at least, to turn the telephone bluetooth on when I get into the car. Once it is on, my earpiece connects automatically. If you forget and turn the earpiece on first, I seem to recall having to go to settings, network settings, etc. to get it on.(Yeah, a PITA.)

Thanks. I have found with the sync that if I dont turn Wifi off before I get in the car I cant connect at all. I have also found that I cant turn bluetooth on the phone before the car is started or I cant connect either. Like you said its a royal PITA and the main thing with this phone I hate. My old flip phone connected perfectly with the car every single time and pretty much never disconnected

Upvote 0
Had to drive about 50 miles yesterday so I wanted to try syncing the phone with the car again. Everytime I tried it, it stayed connected for less then 5 minutes. Other then using the phone for the internet and some games there really is not much I like about this phone anymore. At this point I am sorry I got the Captivate

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones