• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question: Can you remotely start an application with a bluetooth device

MirkoS14

Lurker
Jul 28, 2010
Hi Guys,

I need to be able to start and application when l press a bluetooth device that l have. Can this be done? Was thinking of registering a service to listen for the bluetooth device and when l hit a button on the BT device l can then start the application.

Would this work?

I dont know if there is anything out there currently that does exactly this but I see no reason that this would be out of reach. If your asking because your wanting to write an app or have someone write one then I would say it is by all means possible.

My reasoning:

I have a sony head unit in my truck that has bluetooth. When my phone is paired with the headunit and I press the pause/play button my music app will start playing instantly. So the app is actually activated however it did not pull up visually.

The phone on our "phones" is also an app, and when I press the phone button, the dialer (phone app) comes up. Now I know that is one of the more basic and original uses for bluetooth, but Im just saying I dont see why not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones