• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Question on COGNITION

So it seems like there is a new cognition coming out 5 times a day, and its kinda a pain in the ass to keep updating them every time, which Ive given up on. Is there an easier way to restore my things without taking 5 hours to get back my contacts, messages, settings, stuff like that? I use titanium backup of course but I was told NOT to restore the settings from the previous cognition, on account of it getting messed up? is this just the transition from eclair to froyo or am I missing somthing? Thanks

So it seems like there is a new cognition coming out 5 times a day, and its kinda a pain in the ass to keep updating them every time, which Ive given up on. Is there an easier way to restore my things without taking 5 hours to get back my contacts, messages, settings, stuff like that? I use titanium backup of course but I was told NOT to restore the settings from the previous cognition, on account of it getting messed up? is this just the transition from eclair to froyo or am I missing somthing? Thanks

Flashing does bring with it the burden of restoring your information. The tools I recommend would be Titanium Backup Pro (this allows you to restore your apps without clicking 2/3 times for each one), SMS Backup+ (backs up your SMS messages to gmail and allows you to restore them), and syncing your contacts with gmail (can also be recovered by restoring the DATA from contacts through TiBu but not the app itself).

This really alleviates the burden of re-flashing but it will always be a bit of a process. Hope it helps.

Upvote 0
Waiting for an official Froyo release (and for the dust to settle) would also alleviate this. As long as you're actively testing and updating something in a beta stage, yep, it's going to be a constant process of updates.

Personally, I love Cognition, but I'm still running 2.15. waiting til things settle with an official froyo build before I update. Phone is working great for me, so I don't see the point of keeping on top of every update. But my priority is to have a working, functional phone, not to have the latest/greatest. I know not everyone feels the same. :)

Upvote 0
I'm using Cognition 2.2b6 (I think, halloween wallpaper version) and it is working just fine.
I have problems with phone cutting off with live wallpapers, but I can live without them.
Thankfully all the stuff saved on the internal card stays with it (DCIM data from camera, etc). Since all my contacts are on google I don't mind flashing, but it's still a pain. Nothing in the new versions makes me want to flash again since I have a working device.

Upvote 0
Flashing does bring with it the burden of restoring your information. The tools I recommend would be Titanium Backup Pro (this allows you to restore your apps without clicking 2/3 times for each one), SMS Backup+ (backs up your SMS messages to gmail and allows you to restore them), and syncing your contacts with gmail (can also be recovered by restoring the DATA from contacts through TiBu but not the app itself).

This really alleviates the burden of re-flashing but it will always be a bit of a process. Hope it helps.

This is a big time saver. In the past 4 days, I've flashed 3 different versions of Cognition. My most recent flash (yesterday), I used Titanium Backup Pro, and the one-click batch restore for apps is well worth the $4-5 bucks. When you use TiBu to restore, all you want to do is restore "Missing apps + data".

I don't care for backing up SMS, but like ntdb said, SMS Backup+ seems to be pretty good with that.

Contact management through Gmail is a godsend. If you import all your contacts to Gmail, as soon as you add your Gmail account to your phone, it will sync all contacts and you'll be set.

Yes, restoring a phone after a flash can be time consuming, but it shouldn't take you 5 hours.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones