• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question on Google Play edition Nexus 5 on T-mobile network

darbebo

Jun 14, 2012
Hello

Looking to transition my mom from her motorola razr (the legendary flip phone) to an actual smartphone -and i figure nexus 5 should be a good choice.

She's on t-mobile.

To "save" money, and also not get those t-mobile bloatware apps on the nexus, I think everyone would agree to buy it through google play store for 349$ (16gb).

My question/worry is....i saw a lot of threads (well not alot, just enough) about APN/LTE/something not working with the connection with T-mo.

So if i was to buy one from google, get it shipped to home, walk over to local T-mobile store, tell them i have brand new nexus 5, tell them to sell me a brand new sim card with LTE enabled for the N5 (no way razr sim carrd would work lolz!) - do you think my mom would experience any of such connection issue?

Because if i get it at T-mo, at the very least, those guys would "own up" to any issues i will have since i purchased it physically with them. Like i won't walk out without LTE and they will have no reason not to help me.

but if i get it online (not thru them) they will be less reluctant to help

what do you guys think about the connection issue in the first place?

thx!

Hello

Looking to transition my mom from her motorola razr (the legendary flip phone) to an actual smartphone -and i figure nexus 5 should be a good choice.

She's on t-mobile.

To "save" money, and also not get those t-mobile bloatware apps on the nexus, I think everyone would agree to buy it through google play store for 349$ (16gb).

My question/worry is....i saw a lot of threads (well not alot, just enough) about APN/LTE/something not working with the connection with T-mo.

So if i was to buy one from google, get it shipped to home, walk over to local T-mobile store, tell them i have brand new nexus 5, tell them to sell me a brand new sim card with LTE enabled for the N5 (no way razr sim carrd would work lolz!) - do you think my mom would experience any of such connection issue?

Because if i get it at T-mo, at the very least, those guys would "own up" to any issues i will have since i purchased it physically with them. Like i won't walk out without LTE and they will have no reason not to help me.

but if i get it online (not thru them) they will be less reluctant to help

what do you guys think about the connection issue in the first place?

thx!

I activated my Nexus 5 with a T-Mobile SIM with zero issues. It works perfectly. The issues people have had involve MVNOs to my knowledge. I bought mine from Google Play. All Nexus 5s are identical in the US. I also use my N5 on Sprint, I just swap out the SIMs on the fly.

Upvote 0
as everyone said there is not such thing as google play edition of nexus 5. they are all the same. while you order the phone from play store, you can order a micro sim card from t-mobile too and have it delivered. that way you wouldn't have to step in a store either.
about your mom getting LTE, check their coverage map, opensignal, sensorly etc to make sure her house/work is covered for LTE.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys!

Seriously don't know why T-mo jack up the price to $400 for the 16gb, with tax that'ld be like 450. (vs $400 from Google after tax)

If you are going to buy today, you might want to consider the Moto X. It's a great phone, just a tad smaller, and today only it is $100 off at $299 for the 16GB version, $324 for the 32GB version; you can also customize it to get it in your mom's favorite colors. You order it directly from Motorola and it also is a very clean version of Android without the carrier bloat.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones