• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question re: apps/rooting

Hi all,

As a soon to be Android user for the first time, I've got a question regarding apps. (I've checked the FAQ thread and can't find anything)

Basically, do you need to root your phone, to get apps to work?

I've been reading around the net, and I've seen some things where it says that certain apps may require the phone to be rooted or what have you. Being an Android n00b, I have no idea what this means!

Also, is this the case for installing new themes? Does the phone have to be rooted for this?

Sorry if I'm being dumb!

Cheers for any help :)

...Basically, do you need to root your phone, to get apps to work?

No. The biggest percentage of apps at Android Market will work for an unmodded phone. And when I say the biggest percentage, I mean 99%.

Any Android phone can compare to a desktop computer. One whose workings has been locked up to everyone except the administrator. And they don't give us the password.

Rooting is the process of getting into the phone without harming it. BUT, it IS possible to ruin a phone if you don't know what you're doing. It's not for everyone.

An Android phone is still *incredibly* flexible, powerful, and usable without being rooted.

Also, is this the case for installing new themes? Does the phone have to be rooted for this?

Again, this is a no. There are lots of apps that do very cool things to themes *without* being rooted. Most of them are paid apps (you buy them) but there are some really good ones that are free. Again, you can use this stuff on an unrooted phone.

That being said, there *are* some things that you can only do on a rooted phone. And there are tons of threads here that tell you what those things are.

My phone (droid) is currently not rooted. But it was, and I *will* root it again.

Good luck!
Dan

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones