• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Question Thread for Smartphone and Droid Incredible Newbies

stupid question and not at all important - just one thing I've noticed - can I only set the annoying tinny built-in NOISES for my text notifications?? Can I not assign my music like I could on my very old very simply other phone???
It's easy. Just make the following directory structure on either the internal memory card (/emmc) or the sdcard (/sdcard) and put your favorite mp3s in whichever folder you want them for. You probably don't even need to use /media/audio - I just copied the structure from the /system folder.

/media/audio/alarms
/media/audio/notifications
/media/audio/ringtones

Reactions: gbagsy3
Upvote 0
I don't know if this is what you're talking about...but if you tap on "People" and then hit "Menu" and push "view" you can uncheck "google" and "facebook" and only your phone contacts will show up in this list.

Unfortuanetly, under messages, if you search there, it brings up all of your phone, gmail and facebook contacts and there's really no way to get rid of them. It's annoying to me so I just use my contacts under "people" only.

Another way to get rid of gmail contacts is to backup your gmail contacts on your computer, delete them all from gmail and then sync it to your phone. After that, uncheck sync from the gmail option on your phone and then just copy back all your contacts to your gmail account on your computer.

I really need to know the answer to this as well. Anybody know how to not get your facebook contacts in your dialer but still like your phone contacts to their own facebook? Thanks

Also when I got to Settings>Accounts and Sync it won't let me add the "Facebook" Account (not facebook for HTC Sense) When I press "Facebook" it doesn't respond. I thought if I linked regular facebook instead of the one for HTC sense that my contact problem would be solved but it is not letting me do this. Any one else have the same problem??

Please help, I want to have my contacts linked with their facebook but I DO NOT want all of my facebook contacts in my contacts list. How can I do this? :thinking::(

Upvote 0
It's easy. Just make the following directory structure on either the internal memory card (/emmc) or the sdcard (/sdcard) and put your favorite mp3s in whichever folder you want them for. You probably don't even need to use /media/audio - I just copied the structure from the /system folder.

/media/audio/alarms
/media/audio/notifications
/media/audio/ringtones
OK - so imagine the most non-technical person ever and multiply that by a million - you'd still have somebody with a better ability to understand what you just said :)
How do I make directory structures??? Where/how do I start etc.
Thanks (and sorry for being thick ;) )
G

Upvote 0
OK - so imagine the most non-technical person ever and multiply that by a million - you'd still have somebody with a better ability to understand what you just said :)
How do I make directory structures??? Where/how do I start etc.
Thanks (and sorry for being thick ;) )
G
No Offense, but if you dont understand the explanation, you are probably better off NOT trying it..

Upvote 0
No Offense, but if you dont understand the explanation, you are probably better off NOT trying it..
'No Offense', but telling someone whom you have never met that they aren't bright enough to understand something simply shows you lack basic people skills and are better off not dealing with other people.

However, if you insist, give a stranger the benefit of the doubt that one more suggestion will click the light bulb on for them.

Upvote 0
'No Offense', but telling someone whom you have never met that they aren't bright enough to understand something simply shows you lack basic people skills and are better off not dealing with other people.

However, if you insist, give a stranger the benefit of the doubt that one more suggestion will click the light bulb on for them.

Where did I say the person wasn't bright enough?
someone who doesnt understand directory structures isn't far enough along in their computer skills to be messing with directory structures of a cell phone; the chance of causing more damage than benefit is high for someone like that. Didnt the poster say they were the most "non technical person, multiplied by a million"??

YOU obviously need help with people skills, since you obviously feel the need to act like a member of the thread police here...mind your own business, and if you dont agree with someones comments, than ignore them..

Upvote 0
Where did I say the person wasn't bright enough?
someone who doesnt understand directory structures isn't far enough along in their computer skills to be messing with directory structures of a cell phone; the chance of causing more damage than benefit is high for someone like that. Didnt the poster say they were the most "non technical person, multiplied by a million"??

YOU obviously need help with people skills, since you obviously feel the need to act like a member of the thread police here...mind your own business, and if you dont agree with someones comments, than ignore them..

Now now chaps / chapesses ... When I apologised for being thick it simply meant I had no idea where to start. Thanks to JeeperDon I've added the files (using PC although I have added Astro for future reference).
Wase4711 - you may have worded things a little differently but thanks JeeperDon for backing me up. No offence taken by any of the posts - I'm just used to very old very simple phones rather than very new rather complicated teeny tiny computers

Upvote 0
Reactions: Needz_Android
Upvote 0
I have a question about the Calendar widget (the HTC one). I want to use the smaller of the widgets since I don't want the calendar to take up a full screen.

Is there any way to see more than one appointment without opening up the full calendar? You would think if you have multiple appointments in a day that you'd be able to flip through them from the widget, but you can't from what I can tell.

Upvote 0
Ok, someone open up their Google Maps app...

Does it pinpoint your exact location or even put you in the blue circle that it generates?

I am not where my device says I am (it does say I am in the correct city but not the correct location)

is this happening to anyone else?

Yes, that's exactly what happens if GPS isn't turned on. Look on the top status bar for an icon that looks like a crosshair. If it has no "waves" next to it, then it's turned off, and can only use celltower triangulation.

I've tried 2 widgets from the Android Market, neither of which work on the DI (we have an additional "OK" screen, I think). So, what I did, to make this fast and easy, is I long-pressed an empty spot on my home screen, and added a Shortcut to Settings/Location, which gets me right where I need to go to toggle GPS.

VERY useful to toggle off GPS when you don't need it, to save battery! Seems like when I have GPS on, it cuts my battery life roughly in half.

Upvote 0
I posted this somewhere else, but this seems to be the place for newbie questions. I tried searching but "3g" was too short. So here it is, and try not to laugh:

What is the difference between 3g and wifi? Like 3g is Verizon's coverage, everywhere? Wifi is like if you have wifi set up via computer at your house? What is the pros/cons to having your phone connect to each of these?

Upvote 0
I posted this somewhere else, but this seems to be the place for newbie questions. I tried searching but "3g" was too short. So here it is, and try not to laugh:

What is the difference between 3g and wifi? Like 3g is Verizon's coverage, everywhere? Wifi is like if you have wifi set up via computer at your house? What is the pros/cons to having your phone connect to each of these?

3g is Verizon's network that you pay to access. WIFI is a wireless internet connection that can exist anywhere a router is throwing a signal in to the air. The benefits of using WIFI might be speed, or to save money if you don't have a data connection, or if you're in an area with poor network coverage.

Reactions: alison03
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Regarding the previous post about turning GPS on/off, it also has a button for it on the Power Panel widget, which I recommend. Power Panel also has Wifi, Bluetooth, Auto-Sync, and Brightness buttons on it.

Regarding 3G vs. Wifi - 3G is your Verizon wireless data network. This is how you get your internet/email over the air. Wifi is a local network, like you connect your laptop too.

When you have Wifi available, such as at home, school, work, coffee shop, etc. you can use that instead of 3G because it is faster and it will use less battery power.

Note that the network you get your phone calls and text messages over is NOT the 3G ("Mobile Network" on your phone settings). So, if you turn Mobile Network off, it will not impact your phone calls or texts, these will still be transmitting normally over Verizon's "voice network".

Reactions: alison03
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones