• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help questions about kernels

I am kinda new to the rooting and flashing roms thing. i was interested in trying different kernels. however i am not sure if i am flashing them right or what ever the process is called. i used cwm to flash vegan 5.1.1 on my gtab and have all sorts of backups and already played with nvflash. i have cleared and wiped just about everything and i feel because of a lack of features that i still am not doing things right. can someone help point me in the direction where i can better understand what im doing wrong or help me out.

I am kinda new to the rooting and flashing roms thing. i was interested in trying different kernels. however i am not sure if i am flashing them right or what ever the process is called. i used cwm to flash vegan 5.1.1 on my gtab and have all sorts of backups and already played with nvflash. i have cleared and wiped just about everything and i feel because of a lack of features that i still am not doing things right. can someone help point me in the direction where i can better understand what im doing wrong or help me out.

Kernels are just supplements to a rom. For instance, your base rom is Vegan 5.1 then you can flash supplemental kernels or updates without wiping cache or performing a factory reset. Supplemental updates include vegan 5.1.1 and any of the different overclocking kernels.

In most cases, the only time its recommended to wipe cache or data is when switching roms such as vegan 5.1 to vegan gingerbread.

If you wipe data or perform a factory reset when flashing supplemental updates, it may cause a lot of issues from random rebooting to semi bricking your tablet.

A quick note about kernels: when flashing kernels if you experience issues after the install...sometimes a davlik cache wipe can fix it after installing the kernel. Wipe davlik cache is an option in CWM under the advance menu.

Reactions: bryandrummer
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones