• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Questions about Rooting (Froyo 2.2.1)

WinCamXP

Jun 18, 2011
I wanted some more info on this before I tried it because I don't want to screw anything up.

First of all, I currently have a stock Android 2.2.1 Optimus V that I would like to root. The post in the rooting megathread says to use Gingerbreak, but I want some more info on this. Is there any possible way it will be incompatible? And after it reboots and it fails, it is still possible to boot normally unrooted, correct?

I'm just a little skeptical with this. And also, does Gingerbreak install Superuser? I assume it doesn't so after I install busybox and run it, immediately get Superuser?

Now about busybox, what exactly will it do when I run it? Is it going to be a simple 'okay you're rooted go away' after I run it? Any particular steps I have to take?

And the one trillion dollar question: if I don't do anything at all besides a simple root, can this break anything on my phone?

Thanks.

I was "skeptical" for 6 months. Rooted with Gingerbreak method a couple weeks ago, no problems at all. Frees up a lot of space once you use link2SD. I personally don't see any advantages other than more space (which is all I wanted). My OV ran smooth without root, and runs smooth with root. I don't play many games, so all the ROMs and overclocking really are of no interest to me.

Upvote 0
Rooted last night, Using gingerbreak. Phone still working fine. Only mistake I made was I had to format my Sd Card beforehand, (I forgot that I had my music on it.:rolleyes:) and that deleted my music.:rolleyes: Luckily most of it is backed up on my laptop.

I did not download busybox.
But like I said everything is still working.
So that hopefully answers your last question.
I'm a noob so now I'm just trying to find out what what Rom to get.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones