1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Questions about Rooting (Froyo 2.2.1)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by WinCamXP, Aug 29, 2011.

1. WinCamXP

WinCamXP Newbie
    None

Jun 18, 2011
    I wanted some more info on this before I tried it because I don't want to screw anything up.

First of all, I currently have a stock Android 2.2.1 Optimus V that I would like to root. The post in the rooting megathread says to use Gingerbreak, but I want some more info on this. Is there any possible way it will be incompatible? And after it reboots and it fails, it is still possible to boot normally unrooted, correct?

I'm just a little skeptical with this. And also, does Gingerbreak install Superuser? I assume it doesn't so after I install busybox and run it, immediately get Superuser?

Now about busybox, what exactly will it do when I run it? Is it going to be a simple 'okay you're rooted go away' after I run it? Any particular steps I have to take?

And the one trillion dollar question: if I don't do anything at all besides a simple root, can this break anything on my phone?

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. nitestalkr

nitestalkr Android Enthusiast
    None

3. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus
    None

May 13, 2011
    Laborer (all the dirty nasty work nobody else want
    Florida
    It sometimes takes a couple 2-3 tries but it is the safest and best for the "V" right now. It will not mess up your phone,even if it doesn't work the first couple of times.

4. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    I was "skeptical" for 6 months. Rooted with Gingerbreak method a couple weeks ago, no problems at all. Frees up a lot of space once you use link2SD. I personally don't see any advantages other than more space (which is all I wanted). My OV ran smooth without root, and runs smooth with root. I don't play many games, so all the ROMs and overclocking really are of no interest to me.

5. jermaine88

jermaine88 Newbie
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    Rooted last night, Using gingerbreak. Phone still working fine. Only mistake I made was I had to format my Sd Card beforehand, (I forgot that I had my music on it.:rolleyes:) and that deleted my music.:rolleyes: Luckily most of it is backed up on my laptop.

I did not download busybox.
    But like I said everything is still working.
    So that hopefully answers your last question.
    I'm a noob so now I'm just trying to find out what what Rom to get.

Tags: