• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions from Potential Buyer

lexluthor

Android Expert
May 15, 2010
I'm thinking of upgrading my daughter's phone to Android. I have a Verizon Droid X and my wife has a Samsung Vibrant.

I was looking at the G2X and the Galaxy S 4G, but really would rather not spend $200 for a new phone.

T-Mobile has the MyTouch4G for free at the moment.

So, how does it compare to the Droid X and Vibrant? Looks like it's at least on par with both of those spec wise. She'll like the front facing camera.

Is it pretty easy to root?

I'm only looking to do stock ROMs. What's the current stock ROM version? Froyo? What's the word on Gingerbread or beyond making it onto this phone?

How's the build quality in comparison to the G2x and Galaxy S 4G?

How's the battery life?

How much internal memory for programs is there?

Anything else I should know in comparison with those 2 phones?

With a 2 year contract, I'd just want to be sure I get something that will survive for 2 years.

I understand that, coming to this forum, I'll probably mostly hear from people happy with their device, but please do share any negatives as well.

Let me know anything else I should be considering here.

EDIT: Why so few posts in this forum? Is it not a very popular phone?

not to slam this forum but most of what is going on for this phone is happening over at xda-developers. but I'll answer what I can here.

I haven't played with the G2X but the Vibrant 4G is just the regular Vibrant with the 4G antenna, Front Facing Camera and a smaller internal storage.

as far as how it compares to the DX and the Vibrant, the MT4G is running a second gen Snapdragon processor.

I've had no problem rooting 4 different MT4G's it does come with 2.2/2.2.1 on it but mySense 2.3.3 has already been leaked (running it on mine right now as I type this).

battery for me has been about avg 8-10 hours fairly heavy use. build quality is very nice (only complaint I have is lack of Gorilla Glass for the screen) unlike the Vibrant it doesn't feel light and cheap.

internal storage for apps is about 1GB.
my only major complaint about this phone is the Espresso/mySense UI overlayed HTC Sense...

all in all a very nice device but I am looking forward to the HTC Pyramid/Sensation in around mid-summer.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I did post over there too.

1GB for internal program storage is a bit light, I think, but more are more apps allow installation to SD Card, so I doubt that'll wind up being an issue.

I'm thinking this free is better than the Galaxy S 4G at $120 (costco) for sure and it probably isn't worth going all the way to $180 (costco) for the G2x.

I'm thinking this phone would fit our needs for some time to come.

My daughter's ipod recently broke, so I had ordered a new ipod, but figured why spend $200 on that when I can get a phone for free, add the $20 loyalty plan and my breakeven with the ipod is 20 months out and having the single device is better. I was adding a 3rd line of service shortly anyhow, so the $10 add a line isn't really part of the equation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones