• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions on Rooting. Please Help!!!

USN12

Aug 3, 2012
Hello all, this is my first post in the forums.

I'll make this quick, any help is greatly appreciated!

I'm running a Samsung Galaxy S2 on T-Mobile's network. I would like to root the phone and did some initial research, but I had a few questions that I was hoping anyone could clarify before I proceed.

1. Will rooting the phone erase all stored data? I'd only like to save my contacts and my save game data from Final Fantasy III (it's a great game by the way!). Is it possible to save these things before I root? Is it possible to save an backup "image" of my phone before I root, that way I don't need to re install all the apps?

2. Is there any way to root the phone WITHOUT having to wipe all the data clean from the device? If not, what is the easiest and fastest way to root the phone?

I apologize in advance if these questions were answered elsewhere. Most of the info I found on google was a few months, or years old, and I was hoping more recent information was available.

Thank you!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones