• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

traajik

Android Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2011
what exactly is the deal with the random access memory. i mean i would've bought it anyway if the provider/manufacturer listed something lesser than 1gig, but they didnt. but according to the built in task manager /running apps apparently it only shows about 700ish mb total. is the other couple hundred just not mentioned because it's locked away in base system processes? or is this an app malfunction in reading? but i mean come on. it's not that difficult to display an accurate amount of on board ram... so what gives. does everyone elses phone display similar numbers? or did i get a device with nearly half a gig of corrupted mem. ;/

what exactly is the deal with the random access memory. i mean i would've bought it anyway if the provider/manufacturer listed something lesser than 1gig, but they didnt. but according to the built in task manager /running apps apparently it only shows about 700ish mb total. is the other couple hundred just not mentioned because it's locked away in base system processes? or is this an app malfunction in reading? but i mean come on. it's not that difficult to display an accurate amount of on board ram... so what gives. does everyone elses phone display similar numbers? or did i get a device with nearly half a gig of corrupted mem. ;/

Its locked away for system use.:p

Reactions: traajik
Upvote 0
Yep. I believe it is the same in computers, but they list total memory whereas Android lists available memory. In both cases the os claims a portion just to run.

yeah it's not that big of a deal that it doesn't show the ram being used by the base system... but linux and any distro derivitive of it would. idc if it's "locked" away i still want to see it being used though lol is that too much to ask. they must think 95% of the population wouldn't even really know what they were looking at anyway, which is sadly true in most cases. yes theres really no benefit from seeing it being used but still i know there are alot of sticklers for such things. (maybe not so much in the handheld section of the world) i'd really just like to see it pretty much just for personal bragging rights that i can brag to my self about. thinks to self "oh let me check phone oh i got dual core processor + 1024mb ram on this little guy for what!?! 150$??" oh well, i'll get over it as long as i know it's truly there haha ;D

Upvote 0
What's the deal I only have about 400 mb free while operating the phone is this normal not feeling slow at all but some times it takes a sec to load facial recognition also after i use the phone for a while it goes down to about 200is my phone running slow or what also I have over a hundred applications so

Upvote 0
This phone is a lot like your home computer. It has a specific amount of Ram (Random Access Memory), however your system ( base apps, operating system etc..) uses a percentage of this memory.

Example my home pc has 4.0 gb ram but reserves approx 1.5 gb for the basic operation of the system. So it only has 2.5 available. This is the same for the phone. Out of 1gb of ram the phone is using 300 (approx) for basic system function therefore leaving you with 700 (approx) to play with to run things that you choose to run. The only difference is that your phone is not displaying the total amount of ram but rather the available ram.

Another example is the built in internal memory ( hard drive ), it is actually a 7.5gb drive but we have available 5gb for storage, but it does not tell you that.

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0
What I don't get is why my phone is saying it's using about 450mb RAM with about 250mb free, when nothing is running. I even went through and stopped all the apps that were running in the background, which lowered it to about 430mb used (was about 500mb) and increased it to about 270mb free (it was only around 200mb), and now it's like it half-reversed what I did.

I understand that there's always stuff running, but this used to be reversed and then I noticed this last weekend that there were so much RAM being used that my phone literally died from 100% overnight!

Is there a way I can find out exactly what is using RAM, so I can resolve this?

Upvote 0
What I don't get is why my phone is saying it's using about 450mb RAM with about 250mb free, when nothing is running. I even went through and stopped all the apps that were running in the background, which lowered it to about 430mb used (was about 500mb) and increased it to about 270mb free (it was only around 200mb), and now it's like it half-reversed what I did.

I understand that there's always stuff running, but this used to be reversed and then I noticed this last weekend that there were so much RAM being used that my phone literally died from 100% overnight!

Is there a way I can find out exactly what is using RAM, so I can resolve this?

Are you using any custom roms have Bluetooth on as well as data ?

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
Are you using any custom roms have Bluetooth on as well as data ?

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2

Roms?? I don't know. All I know is the numbers used to be reversed, and I'd like to see what is using this RAM because I am getting annoyed with my battery dying so quickly. I have been awake about 4 hours, and already my battery has gone from 88% to 70%. This is not good.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones