• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Random question?

Verizons lte is the fastest 4g in the country. It penetrates building very well compared to wimax, and is actually going to be covering the whole country in the next few years. Device wise they are a little behind. Personally I would rather have fast internet speeds then a dual core processor.

Just to expand, Verizon is operating in the 700MHz range for LTE which is the old NTSC TV spectrum so it has pretty good penetration. Sprint's WiMax is 2500GHz, higher than any other cellular frequency. It has advantages for connection load, but is easily blocked or degraded by solid objects.

It should be noted that LTE is part of the GSM roadmap for 4G (successor to HSPA/+) which means it will be the worldwide standard going forward. AT&T is committed to LTE, T-Mobile is/was committed (obsolete if AT&T absorbs them), and Sprint is looking to switch over to LTE.

WiMax is optimized around the downlink so upload speeds aren't terribly different from 3G. LTE is pretty robust for both down and upload speeds. I like the WiMax standard, but it seemingly serves better as a fixed point, semi-line-of-sight wireless broadband solution for people who can't get high speed internet via cable or fiber. Probably okay for mobile broadband on laptops, too. For voice/data handset capabilities, I would prefer LTE.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones