• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Random restarts after Jelly Bean

Random restarts: My Story

Okay. In case anybody feels out of luck with the random restart issue I decided to tell you my story. I got my S3 November or December of 2012. Within a couple of months of having it I was forced to update to 4.1.1 (I could not find any cancel button anywhere). Since the update my phone will RANDOMLY freeze for a few seconds and then reboot. It can do it while I am on Facebook, writing an email or text message, playing a game, using the calculator, using the timer or stopwatch, or doing NOTHING at all (there have been many times it will reboot while sitting on the couch beside me or in the middle of the night while it is on the charger [the AT&T start-up music wakes me up]). It might only do it a few times a day..like 4-5 times. But there have been a few days I quit counting around 15 reboots. I had an iPhone before (oh how I miss it now) so had Apple Care vs. AT&T insurance on the phone. Since I did not have insurance AT&T said they could not do anything for me since I had had it for a few months at the point I decided to do something about it.

I tried a factory reset. No go. Problem persisted. I talked to Samsung via the live chat and on the phone, did everything they asked and every type of reset imaginable (factory, hard key, soft key, cleared cache, etc.) still to no avail. After all of this they decide I need to send it in. I absolutely HAVE to have my phone (my workplaces gives me a credit on my paycheck to help pay my bill...if that tells you how necessary it is) so I did ask around and found one to borrow. Off to Samsung my phone went...for 2 weeks. This was in March 2013 so I had had the phone around 4 months and it was already being serviced.

I received the phone back just in time to go on a weeks long vacation. Unfortunately for me within 15 minutes of turning it on it did the exact same thing. Back on the phone with Samsung. Back to telling all of these people I have done everything you asked of me and I am not doing all of the resets again...they should have fixed the phone. After several calls worth of griping (and them telling me I get to send it in again) I finally get to talk to a 3rd level person--an Executive Customer Service Rep. This guy at least gives me two options: they will send me a new battery free of charge to see if that is the issue or I can send it back for expedited service. Going on vacation and really needing my phone I chose the battery. When I got back from vacation I put the new battery in. Again....a no go.

I message Samsung Support and ask them to note the new battery did not work and I'm not sure if I want to send the phone in again as they should have fixed it the first time but that I am sorely disappointed. After about 3 weeks I finally decide to send it back. I go get a Go Phone (making a point to NOT get a Samsung) for $30 so I don't have to bother with borrowing a phone (and since AT&T no longer has a loaner phone program and Samsung had nothing to offer me). I called the Samsung reps back today...was on the phone for 42 minutes...spoke to 4 people....and finally got my promised expedited delivery and service and a promise they would switch out the motherboard which should fix any problem. Dear Lord I hope so.

Also a few days ago my phone did something very strange...well sort of. It rebooted (of course) but it did so for about 5 minutes straight. It would even reboot while it rebooted. Normal reboot: vibration, Samsung logo, AT&T, Samsung Galaxy S3 logo (may be a different order....whatever) but that day it might start rebooting on the Samsung logo....or during the AT&T song...or during the S3 logo. I took the battery out twice but even after a minute or so of being out as SOON as the battery made the connection to the phone it vibrated...no buttons pressed....and started up...while restarting. It finally settled down after several minutes. It was weird.

Here's to wishful thinking that a new motherboard will fix my problem and that my upgrade comes quickly so I can go back to my tried and true never-had-a-problem brand-though-a-little-dull-sometimes: Apple.

EDIT: After one of the resets Samsung made me do I did NOT download a single application. It froze/rebooted even running NOTHING but stock everything. The only thing I had done was text a few people and make some phone calls. So, obviously, there may not be a fix for some.

Upvote 0
I upgraded (reluctantly) a few weeks ago to Jelly Bean and started getting random restarts about once per day, sometimes less frequently.

After doing some research I found out it's a pretty common problem, but nobody can seem to figure out whats causing it. Most just assume its an OS bug/memory leak.

Anyway, I did a complete factory reset yesterday and haven't noticed the rebooting. Is this all a placebo? or have other people noticed the restart problem getting fixed after a reset?

Thanks

bought an att unlocked galaxy note 1 sgh i717 on amazon. it came with 4.1.2. having random restarts. have an 8gb memory card inside. I know its not the battery since I have the issue with original battery and replacement battery. if I do the reset initialization on kies it will go back to gingerbread 2.3.4 and my data Would be lost. confused. pls help!! dunno whether to return phone n downgrade to lg motion.

Upvote 0
Update 4.1.2 Does NOT fix the reboot issue.

However after googling a LOT, I may have found the fix.

I had my phone auto rebooting 10 times a day. So in no more than 2 hours I had a auto reboot.

Per a Google suggestion I disabled Settings/Display/Brightness/Automatic brightness

and I have not been able to see the reboot issue in the last 6 hours!!!

If the above fix also works for you, Please post your feedback here.

automatic brightness. is unchecked on my galaxy note 1. reboot still happens about 2 times daily

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones