• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I now have an LG OPTIMUS, and want to switch to the Prevail. Give me the pros and cons please. You are the ones who own the phone so, tell me what ya like and don't like THANKS

I thought we had a direct comparison here, but I could not find it.
Here is one I know of.

Samsung Prevail vs LG Optimus

My opinion The optimus is a better phone, though its not so much better that it blows the prevail away. However the boost service is way better and cost effective when compared to both metropcs, and virgin mobile though that is just my opinion.

Upvote 0
Interesting you mention that.

I am considering switching to Virgin Mobile for the new Motorola Triumph phone that should be coming out 7/19. I like Boost because their everything plan is cheaper and they do reward loyalty by lowering your rates upon receiving several months of on-time payments, and as far as I know, there aren't any data caps or throttling for their unlimited plans whereas Virgin Mobile does have Data Caps and also throttles even for the unlimited plan, right?

I use SlingPlayer, Google Music, Google Voice, Pandora, and GPS on my phone all the time and was wondering if I switched to Virgin Mobile's everything plan if they would throttle me and prevent me from using those data intensive programs if I exceed my usage before the end of the month? I never tether either so not sure how much data is considered excessive or too much data for Virgin.

Also wondering about joining Virgin Mobile mid month; do they charge you the whole the month if you only use two weeks of service or do they make the date you join the first day of service and figure out 30 days later for the end of your month?

Thanks in advance!!!

Upvote 0
Interesting you mention that.
While I briefly thought about that as well I figure I will pass, for reasons you mention and I will go into later.
I am considering switching to Virgin Mobile for the new Motorola Triumph phone that should be coming out 7/19. I like Boost because their everything plan is cheaper and they do reward loyalty by lowering your rates upon receiving several months of on-time payments, and as far as I know, there aren't any data caps or throttling for their unlimited plans whereas Virgin Mobile does have Data Caps and also throttles even for the unlimited plan, right?
Yes, I do not have direct experience with VM I have heard there is a 5g cap and if you exceed that they throttle. I believe in a normal month I would never go over that, though it may get close. It would depend on my wifi usage as that would not count. Your results may vary with all the music apps you could get closer to it more often.
I use SlingPlayer, Google Music, Google Voice, Pandora, and GPS on my phone all the time and was wondering if I switched to Virgin Mobile's everything plan if they would throttle me and prevent me from using those data intensive programs if I exceed my usage before the end of the month? I never tether either so not sure how much data is considered excessive or too much data for Virgin.

Also wondering about joining Virgin Mobile mid month; do they charge you the whole the month if you only use two weeks of service or do they make the date you join the first day of service and figure out 30 days later for the end of your month?

Thanks in advance!!!
I believe VM, just like Boost will just set your service date up for the same day each month, sign up on the 12 next payment due the 12th.
Also I would rather use boost because I hear more stories of data outages with VM then with Boost. I would rather pay for service then for them to be "fixing"

Upvote 0
unrelated and probably stupid question but what are the odds the triumph will be able to be used on boost? doesn't sprint own virgin mobile? if they did can you imaging how much that phone would sell

The phone has to work on Boost's CDMA network and even then the MSN has to be registered to Boost and I've researched about using other phone from other carriers to Boost but no useful info. it's mostly Sprint phones people were using. If anyone knows, is there a way to flash a non Boost phone over to Boost without having to call customer service and begging them to do it? or flashing doesn't work?

Upvote 0
The phone has to work on Boost's CDMA network and even then the MSN has to be registered to Boost and I've researched about using other phone from other carriers to Boost but no useful info. it's mostly Sprint phones people were using. If anyone knows, is there a way to flash a non Boost phone over to Boost without having to call customer service and begging them to do it? or flashing doesn't work?
With boost, sprint and Virgin Mobile it isnt about flashing. They have a database of esn numbers, the only numbers that are in that database are allowed on the network.
Boost uses the same database as sprint, and even then the sprint android phones are blacklisted.
If you have a phone that is not on the list customer service can not put it in. Now that does not mean people can not put them on, they just use illegal methods, changing the esn to one that is on the list.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones