• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Razr Maxx XT908 Help.

glsmaxx

Lurker
Apr 10, 2013
I have an odd Razr Maxx. It's an XT908 (yes XT908) I am having a terrible time finding things that are compatible. I've always ran a rooted phone. Last was a Milestone X. I could use the Droid X exploits.(I still love my X!) I was lucky enough to go online and most of my questions had been asked and answered concerning the Milestone X and the Droid X. Dunno how for sure but my carrier was first in the US to sell it. (excellent, tough, and what used to be a typical Motorola product) I was certain when gargle got their hands on Motorola phones... out went quality and in came quantity. I would have nothing other than Motorola Android before. Now? There's no difference between Motorola and all the rest. It's an absolute shame the old workhorse has gone the was of the pack. Before Moto's hardware used to be 2nd to none. Those days are gone. They have now entered into the world of bells and whistles that catch the eye and left the world of best of the best. When I turned the Maxx on the first time I was in the twilight zone. Its unlock screen was identical to another un-named brand's unlock screen. I knew then my fears had come true. Old Motorola is gone. What a shame!

Why in the world does any of the manufacturers need 10 variations of the same phone?? The Razr Maxx for instance has more models than could possibly be needed. Then the same compatibility game no matter what one is looking for. When you get into the ones that are "rare" it's very difficult to get any straight answer. I have been told so many times it "should" work it's terrible and some were supposed to be big time developers. That stupid considering my carrier has k NO sbf files. I'm not going to attempt things that "should" work. Trust me, for those who don't know, the Maxx isn't given to people. I won't jeopardize bricking a device of this cost. I mean sure people have different tastes but there should be a little more common sense enacted. It should not be a day job looking for a root exploit that's definitely compatible. These phones are called "spyders" overseas. It has some features other Maxxes do not have. For example, I don't think most RMs have the ability to actually move some things to the external sd storage. I can not really get into that as I'm not sure of the differences. There are serious differences. Ive seen where some things are NOT compatible with the HD and the Maxx. How could one assume things can be crossed between this XT908 and other Maxxes?

If anyone has any knowledge of the XT908's compatibility issues would you post or PM me? I'll give you my email address if needed. Id b happy with anything you have. Anything pertaining to sorting this mess would certainly appreciated!

Thanks in advance! I'm positive someone has been down this road and has figured it out If all one has is tidbits of SURE information I'd be very interested in compiling it for folks.

Greg

I just read your post, and I am not sure i see a question that you didn't already answer yourself...

compatibility issues are carrier dependent. without the safety net of a sbf file i would not recommend you try to do anything to your phone.

I have done a few searches for you

[GUIDE] [depreciated] Port AOKP or CM9 on your Alltel RAZR MAXX! - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

root:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1710871

other than that bud if the roms are not developed based on your carrier then you cannot have carrier based roms, however ports can be made to your specific device to get you on the latest and greatest.

Me personally without the comfort of an SBF file i would not even attempt anything because if you mess something up, then you dont have a way to restore your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones