• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

re: a problem with the on screen keybord

reble

Android Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2012
Kennewick Wa
This is with a Samsung Galaxy 2-10.1 GT-P5113. I was told to do the following to turn off the on screen keyboard so I could use my Bluetooth keyboard.
------------------------
It is simple to remove on-screen keyboard when you have Bluetooth keyboard.

To remove on-screen keyboard, follow 5 simple steps.

Go to "Settings"
Select "Language and Input"
Select "Default Samsung keyboard" under "Keyboards and input methods" section
Turn off "Use on-screen keyboard"
push "Setup input methods" button
--------------------------
There is no turn off "Use on-screen keyboard"

I did find online the following bellow.
----------------------------------
But I found an other way online. That with a rooted tablet I could go into the system > app dir and copy the following 2 files to my SD card "SamsungIME.app" and "SamsungIME.odex". Then del the 2 files in the system > app dir. Then I would not be bothered by the on screen keyboard and I could use my Bluetooth keyboard. That part worked like a charm. Then the charging port on the Bluetooth keyboard got cracked and I can't charge the keyboard anymore. So I went to were I had stored the 2 files for the on screen keyboard on my SD card and copied the 2 files back to the system > app dir then restarted the tablet. the on screen keyboard is not coming upon request (like tryng to send a sms). The rest of the tablet is fine. I borrowed an other bluethooth keyboard and the tablet is still stuck, connected to and using the bluetooth keyboard. How do I fix this?

Steve

A tip DO NOT try this idea on any Samsung tablet (I did and it didn't work out, the tablet wasn't bricked) to turn off the on screen keyboard in order to use a bluetooth keyboard. By moving these files "SamsungIME.app" and "SamsungIME.odex" to the sd-card then deleting the files in the sub directory under the systems directory. The idea will work to turn off the on screen keyboard. BUT if you want/need to turn the on screen keyboard back on. You are plain OUT OF LUCK. Sticking the files back in the directory that you took them out of won't work. The operating system WILL NOT see the files again. If your bluetooth keyboard is dead or won't connect to the tablet, you are dead in the water. The only way to correct the problem is to either re-flash a stock operating system or the custom one that you are using. That's how I end up fixing the problem when the charge port on my bluethooth keyboard got broke (The bluetooth keyboard still worked until the battery ran down).

Steve

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones