• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root re: rooted EVO Sprint ROM want to go back to CM7

Have you tried a different rom at all?
And this refurb you are talking about....does the seller off some sort of warranty if you get it and it doesn't work? And yes, it should be root-able if not rooted already (which is sometimes the case). As far as the IC platform, do you mean the IceCreamSandwich version?---then no. Gingerbread was the last version the Evo got.
Unless the refurb has an ICS based rom on it.

Perhaps try a different rom on her phone. :)

Upvote 0
I think he has tried all different ROMs and is still having issues. If you get the return for free then do it. But I wouldn't burn your upgrade on a refurbished evo. If they want to charge you for the replacement then I guess that's your decision but if they charge you like $50 just put that money towards an upgrade.

Upvote 0
Aloha Mizzou & Mike-
Do not worry, I will not waste my upgrade on a refurbished phone. Had a chance to get one where a person had purchased it (A Sprint Refurbished EVO) and decided to go with a different phone, so they never used it. I was thinking it might be fun and with your help I could root it for myself and maybe try a different ROM/Setup. I am leaning on using the upgrade for the wife and seeing what she thinks of the EVO LTE and/or one of the other phones you mentioned.

Mahalo & Happy New Year!

I think he has tried all different ROMs and is still having issues. If you get the return for free then do it. But I wouldn't burn your upgrade on a refurbished evo. If they want to charge you for the replacement then I guess that's your decision but if they charge you like $50 just put that money towards an upgrade.

Upvote 0
Aloha Mizzo, Mike and folks,
Just curious, I think my brother has an extra EVO lying around that he took really good care of before using his upgrade. It is not rooted and he may be all up to date with the updates from Sprint. My question is, how hard would it be to root it? I thought I read somewhere that the last updates for this phone from Sprint may have made it very hard to root. Just curious about this.
Mahalo!

Upvote 0
Aloha Mizzo, Mike and folks,
Just curious, I think my brother has an extra EVO lying around that he took really good care of before using his upgrade. It is not rooted and he may be all up to date with the updates from Sprint. My question is, how hard would it be to root it? I thought I read somewhere that the last updates for this phone from Sprint may have made it very hard to root. Just curious about this.
Mahalo!
Greetings again daaboss!
It actually is quite simple. Now I say that because I have done it to 3 Evo's and learned alot.
This is the guide to follow:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html
And dont worry, you know how to navigate your phone, so just read thru it, and we will be here for ya if you have any questions:)

Upvote 0
Aloha Mike, thanks for the info!

Curious if you, Rxpert, Mizzou, Ocn or anyone else here, tried Boost Mobile's service? A friend of mind was telling me they use the same network as Sprints and that for a smartphone everything is include and unlimited for $55.00/mo and if you make on-time payments you can lower your bill down to $40.00/mo! He said there were no hidden fees, taxes etc you pay what is advertised. This would be quite a savings over Sprint and I could get my wife the EVO LTE or the Samsung SII. Just a thought but was wondering anyone here had an experience with their no-contract service? Thanks again.

Mahalo!

QUOTE=Mikestony;5394251]Greetings again daaboss!
It actually is quite simple. Now I say that because I have done it to 3 Evo's and learned alot.
This is the guide to follow:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html
And dont worry, you know how to navigate your phone, so just read thru it, and we will be here for ya if you have any questions:)[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0
Well, you can take my next comment with a grain of salt as the members who come here usually have issues.
But with Boost, you will not have 4g service and I have heard of sms/mms issues with Evo's flashed to Boost. Some have cell signal issues.
Like I said, people who come in here have phone issues, so that's all I see, not members singing the praises of thier carrier:p
Not saying that all Evos on Boost have issues ya know?
If you can flash it yourself, or someone you know, who knows what they are doing, then I say go for it:) Here is the guide to do it:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/460035-evo-4g-boost-mobile-guide-evo-3d.html

If you have issues, not alot of members here know about flashed phones but some do such as kolosus, newoptimus, Chicryk (sp?)
Not trying to scare you away from doing so.:)

Reactions: ocnbrze and daaboss
Upvote 0
Aloha Mike-
Thank you for that info. I was actually thinking about Boost for my wife and I would stay on Sprint, since we are not on contract as they say.

But I am curious about what you posted in regard to flashing a phone so that it can be rooted on Boost's system.

Is it true as well that the phones are identical between the two carriers so I could take an EVO from Sprint and bring it over to Boost and vise-versa?

Again, just thinking about options but also cost. I think Sprint charges $79.99 to have a Smartphone on their network and that is before they add in the taxes and fees. With Boost I hear it is just the $55.00.

Thanks again!
Mahalo

Well, you can take my next comment with a grain of salt as the members who come here usually have issues.
But with Boost, you will not have 4g service and I have heard of sms/mms issues with Evo's flashed to Boost. Some have cell signal issues.
Like I said, people who come in here have phone issues, so that's all I see, not members singing the praises of thier carrier:p
Not saying that all Evos on Boost have issues ya know?
If you can flash it yourself, or someone you know, who knows what they are doing, then I say go for it:) Here is the guide to do it:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/460035-evo-4g-boost-mobile-guide-evo-3d.html

If you have issues, not alot of members here know about flashed phones but some do such as kolosus, newoptimus, Chicryk (sp?)
Not trying to scare you away from doing so.:)

Upvote 0
Aloha Mike-
Thank you for that info. I was actually thinking about Boost for my wife and I would stay on Sprint, since we are not on contract as they say.

But I am curious about what you posted in regard to flashing a phone so that it can be rooted on Boost's system.

Is it true as well that the phones are identical between the two carriers so I could take an EVO from Sprint and bring it over to Boost and vise-versa?

Again, just thinking about options but also cost. I think Sprint charges $79.99 to have a Smartphone on their network and that is before they add in the taxes and fees. With Boost I hear it is just the $55.00.

Thanks again!
Mahalo
I think you need to root the Evo, then flash to Boost....I think.
And yes, if you are on Sprint and cancel service, then you can flash to Boost:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones