• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ready to leave Palm/HP

grankin

Lurker
Dec 9, 2010
Ready to leave, because HP has pushed an OS update that, when installed, kills the phone within a day or so. Spending hours rebuilding the damned thing (three times now) losing data every time ... and I've finally had it.

Problem is, I like a small(ish) phone. The new big Androids are just too damned big for me. The only Android-powered phone of similar size is the HTC Wildfire S, which has smaller memory and a slower processor. As things move fast in this business, I suspect a faster successor is either out there or in the offing.

So those In The Know: what should I be looking at? :thinking: Thanks in advance!

Welcome! The phones vary depending on carrier. You may find that a small phone suits you well for a little while but a bigger phone might be better in the long run - more space for keyboard, web pages, etc.

Most smaller phones will tend to be entry level / mid-tier phones, whereas the top tier Android phones are going with the bigger screens, which I personally like. :)

Upvote 0
Welcome! The phones vary depending on carrier. You may find that a small phone suits you well for a little while but a bigger phone might be better in the long run - more space for keyboard, web pages, etc.

Most smaller phones will tend to be entry level / mid-tier phones, whereas the top tier Android phones are going with the bigger screens, which I personally like. :)

All reasonable points, but ... I'm used to the small keyboard on the Palm PrePlus and then the Palm Pre2, and anticipate being happy with a virtual keyboard (which, at least on the WildfireS) is larger than the physical one I have now.

I use the phone more for telephoning, maintaining contacts and calendar, email, only a few games, and a limited amount of websurfing (I usually have my netbook along when travelling anyway). As AT&T thinks the Pre2 is not a smartphone, I get a really cheap data plan.

Hence wanting a non-Palm/HP device with a bit more robust OS running it.

Upvote 0
You should be looking at 3.5-3.7inchers. Here's a number of newer phones that should fit your bill. They all got 1Ghz proc and 512mb RAM at least, which is good for almost everything except the more demanding games.

The Wildfire S is a bit dated, and to be replaced in that niche by the HTC Explorer. The Sony Xperia Ray is the smallest of the bunch I mentioned (3.3 inch scree), its about as big as a Nokia 5800. However these phones are roughly around the size of an iPhone and with decent specs.

HTC Explorer - Full phone specifications
Sony Ericsson Xperia neo V - Full phone specifications
Sony Ericsson Xperia ray - Full phone specifications
Motorola DEFY+ - Full phone specifications
Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus S7500 - Full phone specifications

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones