• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Really basic questions from a new tablet owner

dereese

Lurker
Oct 14, 2012
Hello, all. I've owned a Galaxy Note 10.1 for 1 day now; this is my first tablet. I am reading threads to learn more, as the quick-start guide included was fairly minimal.

My first question is probably very dumb, but I can't sleuth out the answer online anywhere: can/should I remove the plastic sheet stuck on the back of my device? It has a serial number sticker on it, but I think it should probably be removed. (Right?)

My second question is more technical. While I can connect the Note to my (Windows) laptop and can copy music from the laptop to the tablet, I have not been able to copy any photos in that way. I found the /Pictures folder on the Note, but when I try to copy individual photos or folders containing .jpg files, it tells me I need to do something to reformat them first. Any insight appreciated.

Yes you can take the plastic plastic off. I just put mine back in the box. As for pictures not totally sure, can you try and drop and drag or create a folder and then copy and paste? (meaning don't use the folder on the note) if that I doesn't work you can try using an sd card.

Ok just tried the advice I gave you, gave the error, transfered anyway, unplugged device from pc, then nothing but my wallpaper..hum restarted. Opened gallery and all the pics are there, I think it's just a general error, I'm going to try connecting as a camera next time to see what happens. Update to follow

Upvote 0
I was thinking of installing Kies, this sounds like a good idea, I will give it a try, thanks!

To confirm on the silly plastic removal question: I'm talking about the plastic sheet on the *back* of the tablet, which has a serial-number sticker attached to the outside of it, and not the front facing plastic. The back plastic seems to want to hang on, it's very clingy (moreso than the easy-peel plastic on the front), but I *should* take both off, yes?

Upvote 0
I was thinking of installing Kies, this sounds like a good idea, I will give it a try, thanks!

To confirm on the silly plastic removal question: I'm talking about the plastic sheet on the *back* of the tablet, which has a serial-number sticker attached to the outside of it, and not the front facing plastic. The back plastic seems to want to hang on, it's very clingy (moreso than the easy-peel plastic on the front), but I *should* take both off, yes?

I did and kept it, I'm sure the serial number is also inside the unit, but just in case I put it back in the box, I also took it off the sides and the bottom.

Upvote 0
Hello, all. I've owned a Galaxy Note 10.1 for 1 day now; this is my first tablet. I am reading threads to learn more, as the quick-start guide included was fairly minimal.

My first question is probably very dumb, but I can't sleuth out the answer online anywhere: can/should I remove the plastic sheet stuck on the back of my device? It has a serial number sticker on it, but I think it should probably be removed. (Right?)

My second question is more technical. While I can connect the Note to my (Windows) laptop and can copy music from the laptop to the tablet, I have not been able to copy any photos in that way. I found the /Pictures folder on the Note, but when I try to copy individual photos or folders containing .jpg files, it tells me I need to do something to reformat them first. Any insight appreciated.

Copy pictures from laptop to your micro memory card. Not to the Samsung picture folder. View them in the Gallary.

Upvote 0
Download a sd rescan app from the market and use it whenever you copy files to your phone otherwise you have to reboot to get them to all show up sometimes. This is because android usually only scans the sd card for changes at boot

First I've ever heard of this. Everything I've ever transfered to my tablets or phone appeared just fine without the need to use a rescan app. :thinking:

Upvote 0
I stripped all the plastic bits off as they began quite soon to curl anyway as my hands brushed against them. I took the serial number thingy off separately and stuck it onto the quick start guide, which will go into the drawer full of such guides and manuals (dating back to the days before online pdfs...). If I need it I expect I shall remember, eventually, where I put it :)

Reactions: dereese
Upvote 0
As for the photos - I use an app called QuickPic, which not only sees everything on the tablet and the microsd, but sorts them more efficiently than the native Gallery app. The microsd I attach to my computer and just drag and drop folders of photos, it seems to work OK. You can also use Kies to transfer photos between tablet and computer, and there's an option to transfer photos at 'optimum' resolution. I imagine that photos from some new megamultigigapixel cameras may well need a bit of pruning before viewing on the Note - photos from my cameras average at 3MB so pose no problem.

Upvote 0

The plastic stickies all over the device can and should be removed. They were put into place to prevent easy scuffing and scratching on the device during packaging and transportation. I removed it all the moment I got them. I kept the back and stuck it to the front screen film and into the box. I'm loving it.

At least I can use the original S-Pen holder with it. Definitely feels better to use than the OEM S-Pens. LOL. Unfortunately, I need to find a good screen protector. When I puncutate, I tend to tap pretty hard on the screen.

Reactions: dereese
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones