• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reasons I am glad the Droid DOSEN'T have pinch to zoom

MonmouthDroid

Nov 9, 2009
I think that pinch to zoom looks way awesome as a wow feature to show off to friends. I originally came to this forum looking for a way to get it in more apps than just picsay. But as i thought about it, i realized that double tap to zoom in combo with the zoom buttons is superior to pinch to zoom from a practical stand point.
Reasons:
1. Your driving and using nav, and you want to zoom in on the map, it is way easier to tap twice than pinch.
2. You are doing anything where one of your hands is dirty/occupied (eating for example) you can easily zoom on your browser/pictures with one hand by tapping with your thumb, where pinching almost requires you to hold the phone in one hand and zoom in the other.

There are countless situations where a quick double tap is far more convenient than pinch to zoom. I think the best solution would be to have BOTH systems at the same time, but i do not think that i would give up my double tap to zoom for pinch to zoom any more now that i have actually thought about it and gotten over the wow factor that pinch to zoom offers.

I like my pinch on Eris because I can be more accurate than a double tap zoom. To each his/her own I suppose.
Forgot to mention in the OP but that is why i said Double tap and zoom button combo. Zoom button can still be done one handed for more precise zooming, or you can double tap for quick zoom.
Also i do agree about the accuracy, which is why I said ideally, i would like to have both options.

Upvote 0
I personally prefer double tap because pinch and zoom also rotated and that was annoying as hell on the ipod/iphone. The problem with double tap is that sometimes there's not many empty parts of a screen to double tap without selecting something.

Even with links everywhere I can double tap and not follow a link... the slower you tap the more likely you will follow a link, so tap quick.

T

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones