• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Recently bought eve 4g and having lots of problems..?

katie123

Oct 19, 2011
I bought it off of ebay and its used(but in excellent condition). It came with a a case and everything. It also came with: Spare battery 1750 may lithium polymer. This battery is supposed to be better than the average one. I charged it through the night and when i woke up used the android market for about 30mins. and my battery level dropped to 13% 8 hours later. I wasn't using it at all. Do i have a bad battery?

I'm new to all this android stuff so I'm pretty lost. Any tips/tricks/must have apps?

Also I have a stereo in my car with a USB, when i plug mine in it wont play music. It just charges. It has an F-Aux also. How can i get it so i can charge my phone and listen to music in the car?

I bought it off of ebay and its used(but in excellent condition). It came with a a case and everything. It also came with: Spare battery 1750 may lithium polymer. This battery is supposed to be better than the average one. I charged it through the night and when i woke up used the android market for about 30mins. and my battery level dropped to 13% 8 hours later. I wasn't using it at all. Do i have a bad battery?

I'm new to all this android stuff so I'm pretty lost. Any tips/tricks/must have apps?

Also I have a stereo in my car with a USB, when i plug mine in it wont play music. It just charges. It has an F-Aux also. How can i get it so i can charge my phone and listen to music in the car?

The battery doesn't sound bad to me it sounds like you could have a weak signal if you only dropped down to 13% in 8 hours not using it I would say the battery is ok. Problem with all these techno devices is that they are very dependant upon conditions. Do you leave 4G on even when not in 4g area? is wifi left on? Wifi & 4G will continuously look for a signal if left on. How many widgets are you running? and what are they? (you don't need to answer these questions they are just showing you some of the variables that exist for the phone)

I'm assuming that the USB is designed just to charge the phone. You could try and see if the phone will let you choose to have it as a disk drive and see if you can play music and charge at same time if not with the aux plug a cord into the headphone of the phone and the aux of the radio while the USB charges the phone should work. When you get a call you should be able to just put phone on speaker and talk hands free.(You will here them through the speakers of the car)

Upvote 0
Searching for signal? I have it set not to roam i think...
Also i have 4g and wifi off when I'm not using it

yeah i'm afraid there is not much you can do for the battery on the stock system. Some people have seen great amounts of time rooted. I use my phone a lot during the day so I'm lucky if my battery last for 8 hours period.The battery is one of the negatives of this phone. I personally think Sprint was in to big of a rush to put the phone out and some very basic things were not really thought out.

Upvote 0
yeah i'm afraid there is not much you can do for the battery on the stock system. Some people have seen great amounts of time rooted. I use my phone a lot during the day so I'm lucky if my battery last for 8 hours period.The battery is one of the negatives of this phone. I personally think Sprint was in to big of a rush to put the phone out and some very basic things were not really thought out.

for what it's worth, i can tell you that i have 0 battery problems now that my phone is rooted and i was absolutely furious when i first got the phone. same physical battery, night and day difference.

while the battery is fairly mediocre the real problem is that out of the box the phone is great but the battery it's atrocious...

in lieu of rooting:
turn off radios you're not using - especially 4g and gps, both of which will suck up battery at an unbelievable rate.

If you are using gps, get a car charger.

i use wifi over 3g but only to my preferred networks, ie home and work.
don't just let it search endlessly for wifi networks that arent there or worse, bad connections.

turn down brightness
turn down screen timeout time
avoid fancy cpu-sucking animation screens, backgrounds, themes and screensavers.
avoid task killers
move apps to your sdcard if possible

turn OFF push. push is a great idea at first - but it's not necessary. unless you're some power day-trader, polling every 5-15 minutes is probably fine. do you really need to be reading your email while the person who sent it to you still has his finger on the send button?
push kills battery and is, in my opinion, a gimmick - at least with today's battery technology.
technically i use push, but i also use an app called Green Power Premium which turns everything off when not in use and then connects and syncs periodically.

check what accounts your phone is syncing. do you need a stock ticker on your phone? Do you need the weather? it is nice to have, but how often do you want it updated? do you need the news?

is your phone accessing other accounts - like social media? facebook, twitter etc all take power and you need to decide how often you want them doing this.

chances are you'll learn as you go - i will say many people were pretty PO'ed about the batteries

finally - since this is a used phone, your battery problem could be a simple battery calibration issue. there are a million things out on the web about "calibrating" your battery by some variation of charging and running it down but since you do not have superuser access the only way that i know of for sure to reset the battery stats is to do a factory restore. since you just got the phone you probably don't have much on there but you can back up what you do have (files on the SDCARD such as pictures, songs, videos etc don't need to be wiped) do a factory reset and that could fix some problems. couldn't hurt.

hope all of this helps, good luck!

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
for what it's worth, i can tell you that i have 0 battery problems now that my phone is rooted and i was absolutely furious when i first got the phone. same physical battery, night and day difference.

while the battery is fairly mediocre the real problem is that out of the box the phone is great but the battery it's atrocious...

in lieu of rooting:
turn off radios you're not using - especially 4g and gps, both of which will suck up battery at an unbelievable rate.

If you are using gps, get a car charger.

i use wifi over 3g but only to my preferred networks, ie home and work.
don't just let it search endlessly for wifi networks that arent there or worse, bad connections.

turn down brightness
turn down screen timeout time
avoid fancy cpu-sucking animation screens, backgrounds, themes and screensavers.
avoid task killers
move apps to your sdcard if possible

turn OFF push. push is a great idea at first - but it's not necessary. unless you're some power day-trader, polling every 5-15 minutes is probably fine. do you really need to be reading your email while the person who sent it to you still has his finger on the send button?
push kills battery and is, in my opinion, a gimmick - at least with today's battery technology.
technically i use push, but i also use an app called Green Power Premium which turns everything off when not in use and then connects and syncs periodically.

check what accounts your phone is syncing. do you need a stock ticker on your phone? Do you need the weather? it is nice to have, but how often do you want it updated? do you need the news?

is your phone accessing other accounts - like social media? facebook, twitter etc all take power and you need to decide how often you want them doing this.

chances are you'll learn as you go - i will say many people were pretty PO'ed about the batteries

finally - since this is a used phone, your battery problem could be a simple battery calibration issue. there are a million things out on the web about "calibrating" your battery by some variation of charging and running it down but since you do not have superuser access the only way that i know of for sure to reset the battery stats is to do a factory restore. since you just got the phone you probably don't have much on there but you can back up what you do have (files on the SDCARD such as pictures, songs, videos etc don't need to be wiped) do a factory reset and that could fix some problems. couldn't hurt.

hope all of this helps, good luck!

I don't know what rooting a phone is.lol I've just heard bad things about it.
I have easy task killer and easy battery saver...? Aren't they supposed to help.
Will moving apps to SD help? shah

Sorry for all the Q's. Im getting better with the phone but the battery is still being a pain! Im debating if its worth it to spend 15 on a 2000 mAh battery...mines a 1750 mAh, so who knows if there will be a difference and since i bought my phone off of ebay its hard to tell if i have a bad battery. I went to the spring store but they said they couldn't test it.

Upvote 0
I don't know what rooting a phone is.lol I've just heard bad things about it.
I have easy task killer and easy battery saver...? Aren't they supposed to help.
Will moving apps to SD help? shah

Sorry for all the Q's. Im getting better with the phone but the battery is still being a pain! Im debating if its worth it to spend 15 on a 2000 mAh battery...mines a 1750 mAh, so who knows if there will be a difference and since i bought my phone off of ebay its hard to tell if i have a bad battery. I went to the spring store but they said they couldn't test it.

sorry i forgot to write back - rooting is the colloquial term for granting yourself administrative privileges on your device. like what the Apple folks call "jailbreaking." In unix/linux, an administrator account is called root and, unlike the other major operating systems, is generally used the way administrator accounts were intended: for administrators. In other words you have the freedom to do pretty much whatever you want to your system - this can clearly be a double-edged sword if you end up breaking something ;p

The process is fairly straight forward but, as you alluded to, not without risks. It is also not essential by any means to enjoy and take advantage of your phone!

I'm not sure that moving apps to your SDcard will have any effect on your battery life but it will certainly free up space so if you have apps that can be moved, i would go for it.

I would urge you to lose the task killers. they aren't necessary and can actually be deleterious for android devices.

Buying a new battery will obviously get you extended life and it's up to you how you want to spend your money. I will say that doing all the things i mentioned in my previous email negated my own personal need to buy a second or replacement battery but it is great to have the option should i ever change my mind.

hope that helps!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones