• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Recovering Contacts and photos

A

Android Question

After the screen on my Galaxy Ace 2 went (no damage, just went blank), I gave up on it and put my sim card in an alternative phone.

Unfortunately all my contacts must have been saved to the phone because none came over with the SIM onto the new phone.

I can't move them from the Ace onto the SIM card without a screen so I thought I might be able to do it by connecting the phone to my laptop with the USB cable.

The first time I connected it up, the laptop tried to install the drivers, but one of them failed saying the device was disconnected. Since then, the laptop has done nothing at all when I plug it in. The phone vibrates, but the laptop does nothing.

It doesn't appear as a devise in 'removable storage' in 'Computer' either.

Any ideas about how I can get my contacts and photos off the old phone?

Serious thanks to anyone who can help!

Get the screen fixed (or have someone put a temporary screen on it) to see if the problem with the screen damaged the phone. (That "when I plug it in. The phone vibrates" doesn't sound good.) Then export all your contacts to your SD card. You can put the card into the alternative phone and import them.

Other than that, unless you plan on having the phone repaired, you're going to spend a lot of money fixing a phone you're going to throw away.

In the future, put all contacts in as Account contacts. That backs them up to Google Contacts automatically. When you put the "alternative phone" (or any phone) on that Google account, it syncs the contacts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones