• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Recovery] Twrp v3 for Lg Aristo [metropc/t-mobile]

messi2050

Android Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2016

WARNING:
The stock boot image has dm-verity, which prevents you from booting if you swipe to enable system modifications after flashing twrp!

SOLUTION:

Flash a root such as SuperSU or phh-superuser. You should also flash no-verity-opt-encrypt.zip.

Prerequisites :

Enable OEM Unlocking and usb debugging in developer options!

YOUR BOOTLOADER MUST BE UNLOCKED

- reboot into fastboot [ adb reboot bootloader ]
- fastboot oem unlock [ this is going to wipe your data ]

If you have problems with the device drivers installed , you will need to install lg bridge app from lg that contains the device driver
http://tool.lime.gdms.lge.com/dn/downloader.dev?fileKey=PWZO7A26B9UW

How to flash the recovery:
BOOT INTO FASTBOOT MODE:
With your phone off, connect your usb cable to your phone while holding VOLUME DOWN to boot into fastboot mode or just type [adb reboot bootloader] in the adb terminal

ONCE YOU ARE IN FASTBOOT MODE:
Open a command prompt and type "fastboot flash recovery <path_to_recovery.img>” without the quotation marks.

Example: fastboot flash recovery C:/Users/John/Desktop/recovery.img

[don't forget to extract the downloaded recovery zip to get the recovery.img]

WHEN THE FLASH COMPLETES: (Takes about 2 seconds)
On your phone, unplug the usb cable and power it off by taking out the battery and putting it back in.

BOOT INTO RECOVERY MODE FOR THE FIRST TIME
HOLD VOLUME DOWN + POWER until you see the LG logo and then temporarily release the POWER button, immediately pressing and holding it back down until you see the white prompt [factory reset] screen. You will NEVER release the volume down button in this process!
Use the hard keys to select "YES" and then "YES" again to boot into TWRP!

How to Disable encryption & flash super su
1. In TWRP, go to Wipe > Format Data. Enter the keyword ‘yes‘, in the provided space and enter. This will wipe the automatically encrypted filesystem, and decrypt it.
2. Once the wiping is done, reboot back into recovery. Go to Reboot > Recovery.
3. When the recovery boots again, connect your phone to the PC and Enable MTP under the Mount section.
4. Transfer the downloaded ‘no-verity-opt-encrypt-2.1.zip’ and ‘SR1-SuperSU-v2.78-SR1-20160915123031.zip to your internal storage or EXTSD
5. Disconnect the device now.
6. Tap on Install. Now, navigate your phone’s storage and select ‘no-verity-opt-encrypt-2.1.zip’. Finally swipe the ‘Swipe to confirm Flash’ button on the bottom of the screen.
7. The flashing process will merely take a few seconds. And when it’s done, follow the same method to flash the root package – SR1-SuperSU-v2.78-SR1-20160915123031.zip
Wait 1 or 2 minutes after the zip files are done flashing then reboot system and PROFIT! Your phone may take 3-5 minutes to boot the first time and it might boot-loop once or twice at the Metro PCS splash screen but don’t worry this is expected.

All required files [supersu+dm-verify disable] can be found in this thread :
https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g5/development/recovery-team-win-recovery-project-lg-g5-t3363047

Download :
#2 build [stable]

http://www.mediafire.com/file/x1bo7scmrga40q5/lg_aristo_twrp_v3_stable_build_by_messi2050.zip
#2 build Changelog:
-fixed device gets wiped everytime you use the hardware buttons to boot into twrp.
-fixed flashing boot/recovery images through twrp
-built using latest twrp source.
[do not mirror the downloads]

Notice: After the TWRP splash screen you will see the option to type in the password to decrypt the filesystem. just ignore it and hit the cancel button.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please note I don't own this device and spend a lot of my free time bringing these builds for you to use and benefit from So Please Consider donating using the link below if you appreciate my work.
https://www.paypal.me/messi2050

Last edited:
well, I was able to flash the recovery after several failed attempts, however - I may have flashed over my boot partition to do so.

Ignoring the problems I was having that led to my decision to do this, I now have working TWRP recovery!

But, if anyone could upload their stock boot.img (for MetroPCS Aristo) then I can get back to using this for anything other than recovery - I'd be ever so thankful! :p

If it helps, I have fastboot, adb, and twrp access. Unlocked bootloader. Just need to flash my boot partition w/stock again. Waiting on KDZ download if I can extract it from there before anyone uploads a boot.img I'll post it myself (for anyone else that has a lapse of judgement).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
no don't go crazy with your device or you will break it.
Okay, so I made some progress.:D I reflashed TWRP and used the format userdata and cache fastboot commands and I am now able to boot into TWRP. Once there, I restored the backup I made, cleared cache again and I no longer see the "Encryption unsuccessful" screen. My new issue is the phone gets stuck at the LG boot screen. Maybe, I'll need to flash the stock boot image? I'll try a few things and report back.

Last edited:
Reactions: messi2050
Upvote 0
So, I earlier this morning I was finally able to fix my Aristo. I had to use LGUP tool to flash the stock firmware on my phone. I made another mistake when reinstalling TWRP by not formatting the data in the "Wipe" area if TWRP. That put me back into the "Encryption Unsuccessful" error screen. However, this time even reflashing the stock firmware didn't fix that error screen. What did was reflash the TWRP image file, format both the userdata and cache with fastboot commands. With that, I'm back in TWRP and I followed your steps to the letter this time and now have a fully functional, rooted and TWRP'ed LG Aristo.:D

In a weird way, I'm kind of glad this happened. I feel like I've learned quite a bit about fastboot, fixing errors like this and increased my google-fu skills.:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
question regarding this part

3. When the recovery boots again, connect your phone to the PC and Enable MTP under the Mount section.
4. Transfer the downloaded ‘no-verity-opt-encrypt-2.1.zip’ and ‘SR1-SuperSU-v2.78-SR1-20160915123031.zip to your internal storage or EXTSD

where do i navigate to because my phones folder isn't showing up under this pc like it used to

Upvote 0
What did was reflash the TWRP image file, format both the userdata and cache with fastboot commands. With that, I'm back in TWRP and I followed your steps to the letter this time and now have a fully functional, rooted and TWRP'ed LG Aristo.:D

In a weird way, I'm kind of glad this happened. I feel like I've learned quite a bit about fastboot, fixing errors like this and increased by google-fu skills.:D
I'm happy that it's finally working for you , i hope this gives you and the others an idea on how difficult this work specially when you don't have the device to test on it ;)

Reactions: Jpsantos
Upvote 0
question regarding this part

where do i navigate to because my phones folder isn't showing up under this pc like it used to

Did you tap the "Enable MTP" option? The phone should show up after that.

Upvote 0
also, i have unlocked the bootloader but when i try to download a reboot app from the play store it says root permission not accessed

That's because you haven't been able to install the 2 zips in the tutorial, one of which is the su.zip which gives you root access and superuser privilege. You need to get those zips installed. So yeah, either you don't have a working driver for mtp, you can try a different usb port perhaps, or place the 2 zips onto a physical sdcard (if this device has one) and install them from that instead so you don't need mtp at all.

Upvote 0
First off id just like to say thank you to all the wonderful minds who have helped me root over the years. This is my first time posting. If someone where to compile a one click method I would gladly donate in any way I could to support their cause. This phone is a giant pain in the ass and I'm glad I didn't get rid of my LG L70 of which I rooted long ago using this forum. I had 3 of the L70 and didn't worry about bricking it. This Aristo is unlocked, own unlocked. And badly requires root. Its advertised as having 1.5 GB of ram and only in fact has 1.3GB of ram. Its slow and often lags from not having any ram free while sitting at the home screen. Its sad that my L70 runs circles around it with half the cpu and half the ram. I would try the above method but of I brick I'm sol and I'm not afraid to admit that my coding skills are nowhere near the bleachers of the ballpark you're in Messi. Lol.

Upvote 0
First off id just like to say thank you to all the wonderful minds who have helped me root over the years. This is my first time posting. If someone where to compile a one click method I would gladly donate in any way I could to support their cause. This phone is a giant pain in the ass and I'm glad I didn't get rid of my LG L70 of which I rooted long ago using this forum. I had 3 of the L70 and didn't worry about bricking it. This Aristo is unlocked, own unlocked. And badly requires root. Its advertised as having 1.5 GB of ram and only in fact has 1.3GB of ram. Its slow and often lags from not having any ram free while sitting at the home screen. Its sad that my L70 runs circles around it with half the cpu and half the ram. I would try the above method but of I brick I'm sol and I'm not afraid to admit that my coding skills are nowhere near the bleachers of the ballpark you're in Messi. Lol.

You can unbrick the Aristo. I made a mistake during the rooting process a few days and bricked my device but, I found a guide to unbricking it that works and now have a rooted and TWRP'ed Aristo. Just follow Messi's directions to the letter and you shouldn't have any issues.

I had the L70 myself and I enjoyed using but, the Aristo is better than it in every way in opinion. Just give the OS a day or two to settle in. It's very smooth and lag free after that.

Upvote 0
So I ended up giving this a shot today, but I'm not getting very far. I unlocked my bootloader and flashed TWRP from fastboot, but when I try to boot into it for the first time I get a screen saying my software can't be checked for corruption and it tells me to push the power button and then boots into initial setup. Anyone run into this problem or know how to fix it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So I ended up giving this a shot today, but I'm not getting very far. I unlocked my bootloader and flashed TWRP from fastboot, but when I try to boot into it for the first time I get a screen saying my software can't be checked for corruption and it tells me to push the power button and then boots into initial setup. Anyone run into this problem or know how to fix it?

Getting that screen means the bootloader is unlocked. Don't worry it's normal. Which step have you gotten to in Messi's guide?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones