• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [RECOVERY][UPDATE: 11/30/2012] CWM Recovery 6.0.1.9 by b_randon14

So I'm extremely new to the whole flashing ROMs and rooting phones thing. I have the Motorola Triumph and today, I followed all the instructions for loading this CWM 6.0 onto my phone. I made a backup before wiping my data, cache's, etc, and I loaded up a ROM without a hitch.

However, I decided that I wanted to go back to what I had before, so I made another bac-up of what I had done on the new ROM (which I think is where I messed up) and then proceeded to wipe the new data, and attempted to restore the first backup. The CWM said the restore was completed without any error, so I rebooted my phone.

This is where the problem is. My phone doesn't boot. It's stuck on the Motorola insignia and won't move onto the animation and proceed with booting. I CAN get into recovery, and I've tried reloading the backup, but it's the same problem.

Also, I've tried loading the second backup, which is the most recent, and the problem subsided. But this confuses me even more. Why would one backup work where the other wouldn't?

I really need help, please.
Help is on the way! Unfortunately you may not like my answer. I've had backups not restore once in a while before, and you essentially need to start from scratch. However, you're not bricked. Pull the battery and press the button combo to boot into recovery. (It's one of the volume buttons plus power I believe). Anyhow, try doing a complete data wipe and downloading the stock ROM to flash. You should head on over to MTDEV and download and flash MTDEV-UNROOT.

Upvote 0
There is beginning to be problems with these newer recoveries. 6.0.1.9 especially, I've never had any problems with the recovery until the newer ics roms. Everytime i try to back up any ics rom late jan / any feb it takes trying to back them up at least 3 times before it will take. Any of the older cm7 or 9 roms back up with no problems. b_randon14, can you look and see what might be causing this because 6.0.1.9 is my favorite recovery by far. Thanks

Upvote 0
How does it fail? I had problems on /data and changed from backup type from dup to tar, now it works. Trying that will probably keep you compatible with past backups, but allow new backups to be a few big files in the style of <6.0.

However, a debug option might be nice, so we can upload or look at a log somewhere which will tell us what it failed on.

Upvote 0
He's going to patch it when he has time guys. He is about to take midterms in college, and trust me it's a lot of fun. :D But when time is available an updated test build will come out. That could be weeks, months, whatever. Make sure you are running 6.0.1.9, not an earlier revision. Those would reboot my phone unless I changed the backup type as well.

Reactions: rebel69ization
Upvote 0
He's going to patch it when he has time guys. He is about to take midterms in college, and trust me it's a lot of fun. :D But when time is available an updated test build will come out. That could be weeks, months, whatever. Make sure you are running 6.0.1.9, not an earlier revision. Those would reboot my phone unless I changed the backup type as well.

Well I did just that (6.0.1.9 and backup type) and it fried my sd card. I'm telling you something's wonky with this recovery and these cm9 roms. Going to have reformat it, lost everything on it.

Upvote 0
Whoops. Sorry about that. Well whenever I root and mess around with my phone, I learned the hard way as well that it would be wise to copy everything off of your SD card onto either an external hard drive or a separate partition on your PC's hard drive if you don't have an external hard drive. I should have mentioned backup before you do that. In fact, from this point on, when I say anything related to flashing a ROM, messing with system files, or messing with the boot image for the recovery, back up your data first. Either something is wonky with your specific SD card with regards to this recovery, or the recovery is just in need of a patch in general. If you are running into issues with this recovery (I did too but I changed backup types and didn't have problems again, but then again I used this recovery a lot less than you did, rebel69ization) go to mantera's CWM 5.5. That one was flawless for me.

Reactions: rebel69ization
Upvote 0
Whoops. Sorry about that. Well whenever I root and mess around with my phone, I learned the hard way as well that it would be wise to copy everything off of your SD card onto either an external hard drive or a separate partition on your PC's hard drive if you don't have an external hard drive. I should have mentioned backup before you do that. In fact, from this point on, when I say anything related to flashing a ROM, messing with system files, or messing with the boot image for the recovery, back up your data first. Either something is wonky with your specific SD card with regards to this recovery, or the recovery is just in need of a patch in general. If you are running into issues with this recovery (I did too but I changed backup types and didn't have problems again, but then again I used this recovery a lot less than you did, rebel69ization) go to mantera's CWM 5.5. That one was flawless for me.

I changed the backup to tar and 6.0.1.9 worked but it was like 700 MB in size. The prob with the sd happened when I tried to delete the backup. I put in a fresh sd card, downloaded MIuI 2.4, flashed and booted up. Backed up without 1 problem. I really think these new roms (cm9) are causing the problems

Upvote 0
I have updated the CWM to v 6.0.1.9, you can view the CyanogenMod recovery repository for more in depth changes. The important one is a buffer overflow fix for dedupe backups, which I am hoping will help with reboots during dedupe backups.

I also changed the kernel I used from the cm9 one to the cm7 one that has been used in most previous recoveries. Hope that will eliminate some of the issues.

USB storage still doesn't work on this. I am working on it!!
So, I've been looking in to this, and there are two things we need. I can successfully adb push a file to sdcard now.

First we need an init.recovery.triumph.rc.

Second, is in /bootable/recovery/ui.c
we need to change
[HIGH]/sys/class/android_usb/android0/state[/HIGH]to
[HIGH]/sys/devices/platform/msm_hsusb/gadget/usb_state[/HIGH]Thats all I got right now, but wanted to get it out there. Still can't figure out the screen washout.

Edit: The init file needs this entry to fix the cache error
[HIGH]mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p11 /cache wait noatime nosuid nodev barrier=1[/HIGH]

Upvote 0
So, I've been looking in to this, and there are two things we need. I can successfully adb push a file to sdcard now.

First we need an init.recovery.triumph.rc.

Second, is in /bootable/recovery/ui.c
we need to change
[HIGH]/sys/class/android_usb/android0/state[/HIGH]to
[HIGH]/sys/devices/platform/msm_hsusb/gadget/usb_state[/HIGH]Thats all I got right now, but wanted to get it out there. Still can't figure out the screen washout.

Edit: The init file needs this entry to fix the cache error
[HIGH]mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p11 /cache wait noatime nosuid nodev barrier=1[/HIGH]
Also, it now logs :
[HIGH]successfully shared /dev/blockmmcblk1p1 on LUN file /sys/device/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0/file[/HIGH]when you mount USB storage but the driver picked up by the PC is modem, I think it may be due to the init.rc, since we use this for CM10:
[HIGH]export EXTERNAL_STORAGE /storage/sdcard0
mkdir /storage 0050 system sdcard_r
mkdir /storage/sdcard0 0000 system system
symlink /storage/sdcard0 /sdcard
symlink /storage/sdcard0 /mnt/sdcard[/HIGH]Just trying to get some info out in the open.

Edit: may need to look in to this flag BOARD_RECOVERY_HANDLES_MOUNT in recovery.c

Would be awesome if you guys could be kind enough to update the Recovery to 6.0.3.1 or 6.0.3.2 when you've fixed our main issues with the current one. Thanks. And Bsydz, take your time.

Here is a build of 6.0.3.2, I did not use our custom graphics.c, as our issues have been fixed with the new included graphics.c, but the screen wash out is still present about 6 out of 20 tries. I just sat here and adb reboot recovery twenty some times and it is strange, cause there is like a pattern. On like the 6th or 7th reboot it half faded, then the next faded out more, then the next completely washed out. Then 6 or 7 no problems and then three in a row, just like before. Very strange.

Other than that, it is on the brink of mounting the SSD card but still need to do some research on what needs to make the adb or mass storage usb to turn on for the computer.

Any way, here is a recovery to test out and see what you think.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?fu5s5323tdr4r0r

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones