1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Regarding Rooting & Data Loss

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by fydave, May 17, 2011.

1. fydave

fydave Newbie

Hey errybody,

I was poking around and I couldn't find another thread that had addressed this issue in my searches although that could just be user error on my part.

My question is if there's a way to preserve the majority of your data and settings so that you don't have to reconfigure every single setting after rooting?

I've been giving serious consideration to rooting since I've had the Thunderbolt but the bit that the data on the phone is wiped has been holding me back.

Thanks in advance!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ahoogst

ahoogst Well-Known Member

I just rooted and flashed BAMF 1.6.3 today so this is still very fresh for me. In short, no. However, I used Go Launcher EX instead of the Sense homescreen and I had made a backup of the Go Launcher settings through the Go Launcher App. This pretty much made formatting my homescreen a cinch since I could just restore my Go Launcher setting. All your apps have to be redownloaded through the Market still.

Once you're rooted though set everything up the way you like and use Titanium Backup to restore everything after flashes. I swapped between the BAMF 1.6.3 Remix and BAMF 1.6.3 pretty quickly by doing that. Also make a nandroid (full system backup) with Rom Manager!

3. vegatron

vegatron Lurker

so if I understand well, after you root your phone the majority of data is lost.
    What about the OEM GUI such as HTC Sense, do they get wiped out too? Is there any chance to restore them with a backup tool?

4. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User

what are you refering to specifically? the sense UI will remain if you stay on a rooted stock rom,or a sense based rom.

most of the widgets that i can think of(friendstream,calander,etc.) get their info from your synced google account,so that data will come back automagically... there might be some(bookmarks?) that require to manually input data,and those,after root,should be "backupable" with titanium just like any other app. you will just have to be careful when restoring it,as restoring it to a rom with different frameworks or system setup(like an AOSP rom) would confuse things and cause FCs,among other things.

hope that helps :)

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews