• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Regarding Rooting & Data Loss

fydave

Sep 17, 2010
Hey errybody,

I was poking around and I couldn't find another thread that had addressed this issue in my searches although that could just be user error on my part.

My question is if there's a way to preserve the majority of your data and settings so that you don't have to reconfigure every single setting after rooting?

I've been giving serious consideration to rooting since I've had the Thunderbolt but the bit that the data on the phone is wiped has been holding me back.

Thanks in advance!

I just rooted and flashed BAMF 1.6.3 today so this is still very fresh for me. In short, no. However, I used Go Launcher EX instead of the Sense homescreen and I had made a backup of the Go Launcher settings through the Go Launcher App. This pretty much made formatting my homescreen a cinch since I could just restore my Go Launcher setting. All your apps have to be redownloaded through the Market still.

Once you're rooted though set everything up the way you like and use Titanium Backup to restore everything after flashes. I swapped between the BAMF 1.6.3 Remix and BAMF 1.6.3 pretty quickly by doing that. Also make a nandroid (full system backup) with Rom Manager!

Upvote 0
so if I understand well, after you root your phone the majority of data is lost.
What about the OEM GUI such as HTC Sense, do they get wiped out too? Is there any chance to restore them with a backup tool?

what are you refering to specifically? the sense UI will remain if you stay on a rooted stock rom,or a sense based rom.

most of the widgets that i can think of(friendstream,calander,etc.) get their info from your synced google account,so that data will come back automagically... there might be some(bookmarks?) that require to manually input data,and those,after root,should be "backupable" with titanium just like any other app. you will just have to be careful when restoring it,as restoring it to a rom with different frameworks or system setup(like an AOSP rom) would confuse things and cause FCs,among other things.

hope that helps :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones