• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Release Date?

It's nice to be able to shut off the LTE radio, root easily, and have an unobtrusive launcher, which can likely be as easily replaced as TW, or perhaps even easier. I just wish I could get the phone without the added bulk of the LTE tech that won't do me any good.

I would consider getting the Optimus Black on T-Mobile, but now they're getting bought by AT&T, and when AT&T re-purposes their antennas, there's no guarantee as to how T-Mobile's current crop of android phones will perform.

Upvote 0

Hahahaha. That looks to my like someone's magical chart of wishful thinking that they dreamed up in their sleep.

This is not a slant or flame against you, ISASoilder, but if everything comes out at those dates and in that order, I will be shocked and flabbergasted beyond believe. What the heck is a Samsung Galaxy 2, anyways? The Galaxy S II is HSPA+ and slated to hit U.S.A. as a GSM phone on AT&T first, as far as I know, and it's not available there yet, either:

Samsung Galaxy S2 Site Goes Live, Specs Hint AT&T

If Verizon actually does get the SGS2, how is that razor thin design going to accommodate the new LTE radio and a battery enough to power it? And they put "Able to play on Playstation" in the description of the Xperia phone? I dunno ... this "leak" just looks a bit fishy, but I'm seeing it everywhere, so I'll hop in your boat and hope it's true for now! :D

Edit: We've got it linked here at Phandroid as well. I just missed jfoey's post. Looking on there I see a lot of folks suspicious about this list, like I am.

And again, I'm happy jumping in the boat of wishful thinking, but after the Thunderbolt, even IF this list is genuine, I still expect Verizon to delay the launches of most of these devices for one reason or another ... at least the 4G ones because it's such new tech.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/news/w...t-and-modem-woes-due-to-verizon-lte-problems/

I am heading over to Costco's website just for fun! :D

Upvote 0
This leaked roadmap looks like too good to be true, hard to to believe. Especially the timing and 4G on DX2, SGS2. If that's true, who's going to be interested in Charge, Bionic? I doubt it. I only wish for Charge, Revolution dates on that chart.

Sheesh, if they somehow fit an LTE radio into the SGSII's form factor, and still fit Samsung's trusty 1500mAH battery in there, I would likely pee my pants in surprise ... ok, not really, but you get my drift! :eek:

Upvote 0
SGS2 will have 1650mAh battery. And there is guy on SGS2 forum who claims to have seen it at VZW store with samsung rep. He said that it has LTE in that slim body and indeed it's coming in early summer. I'm still not 100% sure of it until some other sources confirm it. If it's true, this phone is the ONE I am looking for badly!

Upvote 0
SGS2 will have 1650mAh battery. And there is guy on SGS2 forum who claims to have seen it at VZW store with samsung rep. He said that it has LTE in that slim body and indeed it's coming in early summer. I'm still not 100% sure of it until some other sources confirm it. If it's true, this phone is the ONE I am looking for badly!

You're such a tease ... I just want to remind everyone that it IS April 1st ...

Upvote 0
I didn't realize today will be that day when posted it yesterday.:) I really wish what he said is true for SGS2. But why isn't LG readying their dual core monster for VZW? Given the similiar best specs, I prefer LG because of their light touch on UI skin. Optimus 3D (Thrill 4G for AT&T) looks like decent phone, but I don't want 3D stuffs making it bulky. And I don't like switching to AT&T because their service, attitude is bad for customers though it seems to work fine in my area.

Upvote 0
I didn't realize today will be that day when posted it yesterday.:) I really wish what he said is true for SGS2. But why isn't LG readying their dual core monster for VZW? Given the similiar best specs, I prefer LG because of their light touch on UI skin. Optimus 3D (Thrill 4G for AT&T) looks like decent phone, but I don't want 3D stuffs making it bulky. And I don't like switching to AT&T because their service, attitude is bad for customers though it seems to work fine in my area.

AT&T is Satan's cellular company. I would dishonor my ancestors more if I joined AT&T and with my dollars supported their evil, corrupt, dishonest, and unethical practices than if I spat on their graves.

The government had to break them up for a reason, back in the day. Why did they have to break up AT&T and not Microsoft? Let's make some comparisons for fun. The main Microsoft man, Bill Gates, steps away from his company and spends over half of his billions to vaccinate, find cures, and otherwise improve the lives of others, all while urging others in similar wealthy circumstances to do the same. He's not even the richest man anymore, although number 2 is not a bad spot at all on that list. He will likely continue to use his wealth to help others.

What does Microsoft do as a company? Yes, they do things that disappoint us, and things that many disagree on, but overall, when it comes to cost/benefit analysis to the consumer, they continue to strive to provide more AND better for LESS dollars. Take Windows 7, for example. You can cuss to your momma all you want about how nasty Vista was, but it was a necessary step in the evolution towards Windows 7. We needed a new way of doing a lot of things, such as a better focus on 64 bit architecture, better plug and play, prefetching to make even a mediocre computer seem faster, and more robust and idiot proof security. Those are all things that Windows 7 has THANK TO VISTA being developed and sold on machines. Did they sit there while people complained about Vista? No. They listened extensively to feedback from virtually ALL outspoken users, developers, laypeople, etc. They worked their little butts off to release what their customers wanted in record time. And Windows 7 just plain ROCKS, dangit. It doesn't rock because Vista was so bad, because it really wasn't. 3rd party folks (hardware AND software) sat on their lazy behinds and didn't develop their crap (drivers, etc.) to work properly on Vista, notwithstanding that they had (or extremely cheap) access to alpha, beta, and RTM code from Microsoft to work with.

Anyways, the past is in the past. Now we have Windows 7, which is amazing. I have been using Macs since they first started using color screens. I troubleshot a considerable amount of OS 8, 9 and now OSX. Windows 7 is every bit as fluid and polished. Are there things that one does better or worse than the other? Sure.

The point is, Microsoft responded to consumer outcry, and pressure from competition the way a FREE MARKET would dictate they do: MAKE BETTER STUFF. This is what you're supposed to do when you have pressure from competition, your consumer base, and your shareholders. Give the customers what they want, and what will motivate them to give you their dollars. People wanted cheaper software, and most people don't need outlook. Microsoft delivered:
1. Office 3 User pack $100-150 depending on sales, etc.
2. Office w/o disc for cheaper (not a fan, but it's there for the super cheapos)
3. Windows 7 Upgrade family pack
4. $100 OEM discs
5. Anytime upgrade for retail purchases - go PRO for $89
6. Cheap student copies that are easy to get - only require .edu email - for both Office and Windows software, all legit and completely full-featured

What does AT&T do? They just BUY the damned competition so they can continue to SCREW the customers and suck as much as they want. They are somehow able to stay in business because of sneaky exclusivity contracts with phones that people believe they need.

I wish Verizon would do a better job on the handset selection front. They were bit ahead of the curve thanks to their partnership with Moto for a while, but that appears to have been flushed down the toilet for 2011.

Edit: WOW. Where did that come from? Sorry, mods...

Upvote 0
Is the Optimus Black scheduled to be carried by verizon?

I wish I knew the answer to that too. It's a phone that LG touted on screen, 9mm thickness at CES. But still there is no indication that when it will be released for which carriers. It's only highlight is its IPS/LCD screen with very high contrast, low power. There was news that LG renamed it to Optimus Big with bigger 4.3" screen though.

I think it's a hard sell these days since it's just 3G, single core 1Ghz OMAP3 processor (as Droid X). If LG put this one out summer last year, it could have been a hit for LG and greatly boosted their image on android. But in these days of dual core, 4G phones, it's not good enough. Looks like LG is focusing on dual core, 4G phones. As mid-range phone, it would be decent though.

Upvote 0
I wish I knew the answer to that too. It's a phone that LG touted on screen, 9mm thickness at CES. But still there is no indication that when it will be released for which carriers. It's only highlight is its IPS/LCD screen with very high contrast, low power. There was news that LG renamed it to Optimus Big with bigger 4.3" screen though.

I think it's a hard sell these days since it's just 3G, single core 1Ghz OMAP3 processor (as Droid X). If LG put this one out summer last year, it could have been a hit for LG and greatly boosted their image on android. But in these days of dual core, 4G phones, it's not good enough. Looks like LG is focusing on dual core, 4G phones. As mid-range phone, it would be decent though.

I've heard it's headed to T-Mobile, at least at first. A GSM version shipping first usually means the CDMA variant will appear quite a bit later, or perhaps sadly not at all. We'll see. The LG revolution is such a beast of a device, and unfortunately not in hardware specs such as camera, CPU, or GPU. The only thing keeping it in my short list are that it has HDMI out supposedly with mirroring, and it has minimal interface additions to it, unlike blur or TW.

Upvote 0
If LG put any dual core processor (OMAP4, Tegra2, snapdragon 8660) in place of snapdragon 8655 in Revolution, it would elevate revolution above Bionic in my mind. Given that they already have such phones (2X, 3D) for GSM carriers, it's a bit disappointing.

But single core processor is not deal breaker for me if it's done properly spec and price wise. Couple of my friends at work got Tbolt, and I had chance to play with it a bit when helping them find apps, setting up for good battery life as they are newbie to android. I had chance to briefly see it at Bestbuy before though. Tbolt felt fairly snappy and smooth with minimal lag if any. Also LTE on/off app just came out for Tbolt, which it should have come pre-loaded, but good for them anyway. The screen looks pretty sharp, but lacks rich color, viewing angle that I typically see on Samsung Super AMOLED or LG IPS/LCD. So the Revolution would be equally snappy with the same processor but it will boast a bit better display and HDMI out. Hopefully it will have better battery life and LTE switch app pre-loaded. Samsung Droid Charge is believed to come with single core hummingbird too. But if it has better NAND memory and file system than original galaxy S, improved hummingbird will be still capable enough I think. I had chance to play with Nexus S at BB too. It felt much more snappy and fluid than Fascinate, Vibrant despite using the same hummingbird.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Someones made up excel spreadsheet.

Today was pretty much proof of that. Neither of the items listed for todays release was released today. There has not been a single ounce of marketing for anything other than the iPhone and the Thunderbolt.

take all the dates listed there and add 30 days to them... and you maybe closer to actual dates.

Lol. Not on Verizon. More like 60-90 days. We'll see. I hope it's only 30. I honestly never believed that stupid leak sheet for one second. ROFL.

Upvote 0
I am holding out for LG Revolution. If it releases with a 199 price tag (in store) I will be all over it.
Anything more than 199 in is just insane. By the time this phone releases the TBolt will be down to 199 in store so it is a win win but I would prefer the rev.

If you're close to your two year upgrade, which one of my lines is up this month, you can get it from Amazon, Walmart, or Best Buy where it will probably be cheaper. For example, the Fascinate is $50 at best buy right now. Often the third parties are willing to take more of a hit on the hardware during promotions and such.

I'm personally getting sick of Verizon. They used to care about customers, and they are caring less and less as time goes on these days. I've noticed a sharp decline just in the last year or so. It's disheartening.

Upvote 0
I'm personally getting sick of Verizon. They used to care about customers, and they are caring less and less as time goes on these days. I've noticed a sharp decline just in the last year or so. It's disheartening.

I whole heartedly agree.

I have looked at the online etailers but the process for changing phones is confusing to me. Each wants me to create a plan and select features. I have a plan in place, I do not want any changes made to it. This is why I want to use the store.

My line has been up for renewal since August 20th 2009. My other 2 lines are up August 20th this year.

Upvote 0
I'm beginning to get tired of waiting for Revolution now. Droid Charge doesn't have concrete launch date yet either, but now there are some indications that it's imminent. I actually favor Revolution over Charge unless charge is dual core (doubtful). Even SGS2 is getting close to global launch now. Revolution won't have much chance if it comes around the same time or later than Bionic, SGS2 on VZW.

Upvote 0
I'm beginning to get tired of waiting for Revolution now. Droid Charge doesn't have concrete launch date yet either, but now there are some indications that it's imminent. I actually favor Revolution over Charge unless charge is dual core (doubtful). Even SGS2 is getting close to global launch now. Revolution won't have much chance if it comes around the same time or later than Bionic, SGS2 on VZW.

The Charge should launch very soon. The SGS2 at least on Verizon is a few months in waiting. Again, Verizon being a day late (months actually) and a dollar short (i.e. Bionic = reduced spec Atrix). I thought those days were changing with the "Droid Does" campaign, and for a while they appeared to be more competitive with front line modern spec devices, like the Droid 2 and Droid X. What happened this year?

For years I always wanted a phone on another network that verizon never got, or got really late. Believe it or not, I wanted a Razr back in the day. Verizon got it last. iPhone? Verizon wasn't last (sprint), but YEARS after AT&T. Even T-Mobile could rock a jailbroken iPhone. And when is Verizon finally getting Windows 7 phones (which happen to be excellent.)

The only carrier worse than Verizon for phone selection is Sprint, but Verizon is doing their best this year to fall behind them. Who was the first CDMA nationwide carrier with not one, but TWO 4G phones on their network? Not Verizon. Sprint. Way to be late to the party again.

I whole heartedly agree.

I have looked at the online etailers but the process for changing phones is confusing to me. Each wants me to create a plan and select features. I have a plan in place, I do not want any changes made to it. This is why I want to use the store.

My line has been up for renewal since August 20th 2009. My other 2 lines are up August 20th this year.

Trust me. You walk into best buy and use that two year renewal. They should be able to renew your contract and discount your phone without TOUCHING your plan, as long as your plan is decently modern. When I worked at Best Buy, I hooked people up with their 2 year discounted prices on Verizon and renewed their plans from COMNET Cellular!!! Verizon bought them up YEARS ago, and I was still able to renew that plan for those customers without touching the way it was set up. Of course there are exceptions, but if you get someone that knows what they're doing, they should be able to take care of you.

And with Amazon, you just order the phone and activate it on your line. When you activate it, Verizon will reset the 2 year upgrade counter and send Amazon the bounty (all ESNs are precisely tracked.) Amazon dictates the price of the phone by the status of your line. It's quite streamlined in fact.

Third party reps (or at least their stores) get bonus bounties for adding any features or upgrading minutes on any line as they do the renewal (or sign up a new line/customer.) But you don't have to take the bait.

Upvote 0
Why I don't use best buy for anything... 50 more than VZW retail. LOL

epic fail!

bbfail.jpg

Upvote 0
Why I don't use best buy for anything... 50 more than VZW retail. LOL

epic fail!

bbfail.jpg

Dude, they price match. And you just gotta wait for the sales. For example, when I got my wife's Fascinate, walmart had it at $50 and BB had it at $100. Best Buy price matched it for me. Last week BB had it for $50 and walmart had it for $78. Walmart probably would've price matched best buy as well. Just wait for the sales. Typically I've had the best luck with Best Buy, Amazon, and Walmart.

Edit: you can even get Verizon's own asurion insurance at those places ... well, don't know about amazon, but walmart and bb do it.

Upvote 0
Good God. Could we get some information already?? This is really killing me. I would just like a new phone that is LTE and isn't made by HTC. I would like to get the Revolution as I am starting to have Brand Loyality to LG as I have a few of their Televisions now. It seems like all the leaks have come to an abrupt halt! Seems like for the HTC TB there was new information daily and a lot of speculation but not much going on for the Revolution. We don't even have any of the "my brothers sisters cousins friend works at Best Buy and they said blah". Mr. Panda is hiding and not saying much. Where oh where is some new information??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones