• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[RELEASED] The 4.3 inch "Thunderbolt" aka "Mecha" aka "Incredible HD" from HTC...beyond coming soon!

OK. Seriously? I was just checking out the Inspire on AT&T's site. (It was like going into a foreign country going there!) I know they are two different devices, but are they that far apart that you can get a no commitment price of $399 with AT&T vs the $749 from VZW for the TB?

I've been saying this all along. Maybe it's just me, but is the iPhone the only other phone that has had an off contract price of over $600?

The way they have *supposedly* priced the TB almost feels like they are going to just use the iPhone comparison to justify the price.

With the price of laptops and tablets coming out now, it just seems a bit high for this phone.

Upvote 0
OK. Seriously? I was just checking out the Inspire on AT&T's site. (It was like going into a foreign country going there!) I know they are two different devices, but are they that far apart that you can get a no commitment price of $399 with AT&T vs the $749 from VZW for the TB?

There's actually a lot of difference between the phones.

HTC Inspire 4G Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of Smartphone, PDA, PDA Phone, PNA, netbook & Mobile Device Specifications

Verizon HTC ThunderBolt ADR6400 (HTC Mecha) Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of Smartphone, PDA, PDA Phone, PNA, netbook & Mobile Device Specifications

The 8255 of the Inspire isn't quite as advanced as the 8655 of the Thunderbolt. You should be comparing the Inspire to the myTouch. Compare the price of the Sony Playstation Phone or the LG Revolution for apples to apples on the Thunderbolt. The radio is integrated into the Inspire, where the Thunderbolt needs a separate chip for LTE. The Inspire has half the ROM of the Thunderbolt. There's a bunch of differences there. Now, is that really $350 worth of differences? I can't really say, but there are things that set them apart.

Upvote 0
I've been saying this all along. Maybe it's just me, but is the iPhone the only other phone that has had an off contract price of over $600?

The way they have *supposedly* priced the TB almost feels like they are going to just use the iPhone comparison to justify the price.

With the price of laptops and tablets coming out now, it just seems a bit high for this phone.

I agree, and it makes me very sad. :( I really don't want anything other than an HTC device (compared to the other Android devices at VZW). Maybe we can hope that they're doing a price overhaul and that's what's holding everything up. ;) I have a funny feeling that those of us who DON'T jump on the TB immediately will end up stuck with the higher 4G price.

Upvote 0
I played with the Atrix and Inspire last couple of days. Both are nice. The Atrix is the perfect fit for me - size wise; and well-built too. However AT&T 4G just doesn't exist. So my prediction is that soon, 30 days from now to be exact, you're going to see Atrix and Inspire prices crash as the people who adopted early start returning their devices before the 30-day contract lock-in.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Atrix and Insipire bundles and BOGOs soon.

Upvote 0
I think the T-Bolt is delayed JUST to have another 3 weeks of commercials and talk. I wonder how many people have gone into Verizon to get the Thunderbolt...only to find out it isn't out yet. People want what they can't have. Nationwide advertisements will continue to ensure that people are paying attention. Don't be surprised if Verizon holds back and creates an artificial shortage to drum up even more publicity. And for those who think it won't happen...look at the success of the Wii. That's exactly what Nintendo did.

understand where you're coming from on this, but i don't agree they would delay it to drum up hype. too much risk of losing momentum and pissing people off. it's being delayed directly or indirectly because of the fruit. i don't see any other reason why. the wii analogy doesn't really fit here since that is an established product that already had its own buzz. plus there's no equivalent of the fruitphone to the wii.

for me, still interested in the tb and when it's ready i will get one.
icon14.gif

Upvote 0
understand where you're coming from on this, but i don't agree they would delay it to drum up hype. too much risk of losing momentum and pissing people off. it's being delayed directly or indirectly because of the fruit. i don't see any other reason why. the wii analogy doesn't really fit here since that is an established product that already had its own buzz. plus there's no equivalent of the fruitphone to the wii.

for me, still interested in the tb and when it's ready i will get one.
icon14.gif

Companies do this sort of thing all the time. These companies spend millions for market research in a fast changing industry. If you think there are no games being played with phone launches, software updates, preorders, etc...Then you are giving the companies too much credit. :)

And my point about the wii was in regard to the artificial shortage that Nintendo created. You couldn't find a wii anywhere...that in itself created more of a buzz than anything else about the system. It was brilliant marketing. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen here.

But I'm most likely on board with this phone when it launches. Just wish I had it a month or two ago.

Reactions: gobluejd
Upvote 0
retailers manipulate release dates to build hype/interest in a product all the time, very true. i'm just thinking that's not the case with vzw and the thunderbolt. if their network and distribution channels were up to snuff i'd bet they would have released the phone by now.

if vzw were playing the delay game to build hype they would have announced the iphone long before putting a release date out there. however, that wasn't the case. they announced the phone then almost immediately provided a release date. with the thunderbolt they announced the phone a long time ago and have been dragging their feet in preparing to roll it out because they're focused on other things. they know people will buy the tb when ready, but not near the numbers that they're locking up selling the iphone right now. i'd go as far to say that the tb would be out by now if the iphone hadn't come along.

i'm getting a little impatient, but then again i have to remember i have a really good phone right now in the incredible. just want something new and shiny. lol

Upvote 0
@black_man_x
The Mobile Panda
ya know.. I find this Thunderbolt stuff funny.. release dates from Last Nov to last week and I have been saying MARCH since OCT..
14 minutes ago via web Favorite Retweet Reply

_____

angelic269 Ames Michelle
@
@black_man_x
hows the battery panda?
18 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
in reply to ↑

@black_man_x
The Mobile Panda
@angelic269
not sure yet.. but its not looking good! LTE is drinking mightily from the Juice box.. watching Baseketball now..

Upvote 0
@black_man_x
The Mobile Panda
ya know.. I find this Thunderbolt stuff funny.. release dates from Last Nov to last week and I have been saying MARCH since OCT..

_____

angelic269 Ames Michelle
@
@black_man_x
hows the battery panda?
18 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
in reply to ↑

@black_man_x
The Mobile Panda
@angelic269
not sure yet.. but its not looking good! LTE is drinking mightily from the Juice box.. watching Baseketball now..
the battery comment was about the samsung device, not the TB

Upvote 0
I find the excitement about this device amazing.. I am sure that HTC loves the attention and the furor that has arisen for a device that hasnt been given a release date but that the internet is calling Vaporware..

As for when its coming out.. I have been saying 1st Qtr since last year when I named a device the Incredible HD and long before BGR got a pic of one of the test units. There has been talk of a Nov 2010 release, a new year release.. Presidents day.. Mondays, fridays.. ETC ETC... Best buy even took money from customers with no clear direction as to date..

To clear the Air.. I find Miami a decent guy and he spends hours in forums helping those that want to know a little about what goes on behind the curtain.. God Bless the man because the shyt he gets is epic. lol I prefer to tweet my randomness to the world. lol

I dont get my information from Him and Im pretty sure he isnt getting his from me. Different sources and different paths doesn't make either wrong if they both arrive at the same point does it?

That being said the device is really nice and I am sure that those that have been awaiting the release to consumers will not be disappointed with it or the LTE network that my team has worked hard to build. it truly will open the doors to amazing data uses for Verizon customers.

Questions? My twitter feed is open (although a lil sour)..

Love ya and let the Flames begin..

Panda..

Ps. The unicorn references will be clear in all due time.. as I Keep saying.. THERE IS ANOTHER..

Upvote 0
I find the excitement about this device amazing.. I am sure that HTC loves the attention and the furor that has arisen for a device that hasnt been given a release date but that the internet is calling Vaporware..

As for when its coming out.. I have been saying 1st Qtr since last year when I named a device the Incredible HD and long before BGR got a pic of one of the test units. There has been talk of a Nov 2010 release, a new year release.. Presidents day.. Mondays, fridays.. ETC ETC... Best buy even took money from customers with no clear direction as to date..

To clear the Air.. I find Miami a decent guy and he spends hours in forums helping those that want to know a little about what goes on behind the curtain.. God Bless the man because the shyt he gets is epic. lol I prefer to tweet my randomness to the world. lol

I dont get my information from Him and Im pretty sure he isnt getting his from me. Different sources and different paths doesn't make either wrong if they both arrive at the same point does it?

That being said the device is really nice and I am sure that those that have been awaiting the release to consumers will not be disappointed with it or the LTE network that my team has worked hard to build. it truly will open the doors to amazing data uses for Verizon customers.

Panda..

Ps. The unicorn references will be clear in all due time.. as I Keep saying.. THERE IS ANOTHER..

THANK YOU! :D do you think the thunderbolt is better than the bionic?

Upvote 0

Panda..

If this is the real BMX, why bother posting here?

Since you're here anyway, what's your favorite thing so far about the TB? What's your least fav?

Upvote 0

Panda..

question should i get this phone if i am going over seas for a year?

Upvote 0
If this is the real BMX, why bother posting here?

Since you're here anyway, what's your favorite thing so far about the TB? What's your least fav?

Lmao.. I happened to get a link back from my blog to this thread so I fig I would check it out.. I actually am a member of most forums if only to check out posts that I get sent to look at.

fav thing would have to be the kickstand. its a gimmick but its a cool one..

Least favorite would have to be that it did not ship with the proposed resolution and screen.. SLCD is nice but its not the top of the line...

Upvote 0
Lmao.. I happened to get a link back from my blog to this thread so I fig I would check it out.. I actually am a member of most forums if only to check out posts that I get sent to look at.

fav thing would have to be the kickstand. its a gimmick but its a cool one..

Least favorite would have to be that it did not ship with the proposed resolution and screen.. SLCD is nice but its not the top of the line...

is the bionic better in your opinion?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones