• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Removing unwanted android apps

dapperdave

Lurker
Dec 25, 2010
I just bought my wife a Wildfire for Christmas but (as we live in the Middle East) it's come with additional unwanted apps and arabic. I think I have switched off the arabic text entry but can't get rid of the arabic apps (eg prayer call which is pre-programed to interrupt 5 times a day). Is there any way to get rid of these ? Perhaps by downloading and installing a UK version of android ? Please tell me I don't have to root it unless I really have to as I'm a complete newbie......

i think rooting would be the best choice for you, its not that hard, i had no experience with anything like it before, but there are some really helpful guides that walk you through it, big thing is to do a nandroid backup so if there is any dramas, which there shouldn't be you can restore your current rom. i'm running wildpuzzle v.05 which is brilliant, and the dev danne jo has just released the beta of v.07.
[ROM][29/12] WildPuzzleROM_2.2.1 v0.6, Live Wallpaper in SENSE = SEXY - xda-developers
hope this helps, even though i mentioned rooting:p.
the prayer call app must drive you nuts:eek:

Upvote 0
I just bought my wife a Wildfire for Christmas but (as we live in the Middle East) it's come with additional unwanted apps and arabic. I think I have switched off the arabic text entry but can't get rid of the arabic apps (eg prayer call which is pre-programed to interrupt 5 times a day). Is there any way to get rid of these ? Perhaps by downloading and installing a UK version of android ? Please tell me I don't have to root it unless I really have to as I'm a complete newbie......

You can do this without rooting now. When I say rooting, without going through the traditional unrevoked rooting process.

1) Download this app:

19/Nov r14: VISIONary + one click root - Android @ MoDaCo

It allows you to gain temporary root access without any effect on yoru warranty (its only an app you see :) ).

2) gain temp root access (lost after reboot)

3) Download titanium backup whilst you have temp root.

4) In the backup / restore tab, locate the individual apps you want removes, short press them and select delete.

*** warning, be VERY careful what you delete. Anything you do not understand, leave alone***

Upvote 0

Quite frankly. Nearly all the responses on this website have been hacker sounding gibberish. (what the heck is "rageagainstthecage"?????)
I followed that link and didn't understand 5 words that guy said in his web site. I live in Oman and have the same phone and the same problem. I simply forced that ap off, though it seems to find it's way to turning itself back on again. It also doesn't give you a choice for "English US" or "English UK"). It only gives you Middle Eastern countries (none of which are Oman) and "English". I rather like the "iQuran" it gives you with the phone. Though on American and UK phones it doesn't give you "iBible".

Travelling around the Middle East as I do with my job, I quite like having a resource that lets me know when I'm intruding on someone's prayer times and when I can expect the shops to open back up.

Though I do not like the audacity of Droid/HTC to force these applications into the phone without the ability to (easily) remove them.

Upvote 0
i think rooting would be the best choice for you, its not that hard, i had no experience with anything like it before, but there are some really helpful guides that walk you through it, big thing is to do a nandroid backup so if there is any dramas, which there shouldn't be you can restore your current rom. i'm running wildpuzzle v.05 which is brilliant, and the dev danne jo has just released the beta of v.07.
[ROM][29/12] WildPuzzleROM_2.2.1 v0.6, Live Wallpaper in SENSE = SEXY - xda-developers
hope this helps, even though i mentioned rooting:p.
the prayer call app must drive you nuts:eek:

makes me feel dumber with every passing second on this forum for receiving and accepting the OTA update.. stupid me...:mad:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones