1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Replacement battery (Galaxy S III, model SGH-1747M)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by John Beaudoin, Mar 22, 2016.

1. John Beaudoin

John Beaudoin Lurker

So,

I'm broke, and my battery is shit. Phone "dies" at 50%. Tried a friends battery, works perfectly fine. So, I need a new battery. I know what it takes: 2100 mAh, 3.8 V Li-ion 7.98 Wh. I know what those values mean (from a layman's point of view), but I have a point in question.

I see a battery on the 'ole eBay: 3200 mAh, 3.7 V, Li-ion. Says it is compatible with my phone. Simply put, higher capacity, similar voltage output. Would it **** up my phone with that .1 difference? If so, do you recommend the stock Samsung battery? Or an off-brand?

Like I said, I'm broke. I don't mind waiting a month to have it ordered from China to save a few bucks, but I'm not buying another battery for $35 from a store, when my phone was purchased used for $30.

**Update: I average about 1% a minute, and it died at 47%. Needs to be plugged in order for it to be rebooted.

Thanks in advance,

John.

#1 John Beaudoin, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  2. Kiltpin

Kiltpin Lurker

John, It is as near as makes no difference the same thing. Except it has a larger capacity. The new battery is at a lower stated voltage, so no it will not damage your phone. To be honest, I think that the 3.7 is a typo - it should be 3.8. It is a chemical reaction, which, when charged, should produce the same voltage every time.
    Regards
    Kiltpin

John Beaudoin likes this.
  3. John Beaudoin

John Beaudoin Lurker

The picture of the battery has it printed as 3.7 V, so I was wondering.

Specifications:
    1. Dimensions: (2.48 x 1.97 x 0.20)" / (6.3 x 5 x 0.5)cm (L x W x H)
    2. Weight: 1.27oz / 36g
    3. Voltage: 3.7V
    4. Capacity: 3200mAH
    5. Battery Type: Li-ion Battery
    6. Compatible with: Samsung S3 i9300 / i535 / i747 / T999 / R530

4. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

Check Amazon. I got a two pack of replacement OEM batteries under $10.

svim and Mikestony like this.
  5. mydian

mydian Android Expert

Investor22 and Mikestony like this.
  6. svim

svim Extreme Android User

I'd avoid any bargain specials or off-brand batteries, too many are manufactured with little quality control using cut-rate components. Saving a couple of bucks isn't worth the increased chance for one of those knock-offs burning up and frying your S3. As Jfalls63 suggested, it's less than $10 for a Samsung OEM battery. (Also note that while some phones have the NFC chip in the body of the phone, with S3's it's in the battery. Some off-brand S3 batteries don't even have the NFC chip in them.)

7. John Beaudoin

John Beaudoin Lurker

I've decided on an OEM battery. In the sake of getting it sooner, it'll be about $9, but it works for me.

Thanks all.

Jfalls63 likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews