• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Replacing my Iphone

michaelcole

Lurker
May 12, 2009
Hello, I am looking for a replacement to my Iphone. It's not the phone really, it's apple and itunes. Can ya blame me? I don't know a PC user that doesn't loathe frickin itunes.

So anyways, Android looks awesome, but I don't know which phone. There are four things I'm looking for:

1) Willing to wait 3-4 months for phone to come out. Up to $500 or so.

2) Form factor: Can't look cheap. Flipout keyboard ok. Same size as iphone or a smidge bigger.

3) Free'r than Iphone - I don't have to brick/unbrick the phone anymore. I can tweak it when I want. I can install applications I want. I paid almost $700 for an Iphone I can't add a ringtone to? :-/

4) No 1 or 2 year contract. Month to Month - how I like it. Able to switch carriers would be great but not necessary.

Can you recommend a phone?

Mike

(Seriously! WTF with itunes. that's like a marketing campaign right there:
"It's like the iPhone, but without iTunes.")

Hello, I am looking for a replacement to my Iphone. It's not the phone really, it's apple and itunes. Can ya blame me? I don't know a PC user that doesn't loathe frickin itunes.

So anyways, Android looks awesome, but I don't know which phone. There are four things I'm looking for:

1) Willing to wait 3-4 months for phone to come out. Up to $500 or so.

2) Form factor: Can't look cheap. Flipout keyboard ok. Same size as iphone or a smidge bigger.

3) Free'r than Iphone - I don't have to brick/unbrick the phone anymore. I can tweak it when I want. I can install applications I want. I paid almost $700 for an Iphone I can't add a ringtone to? :-/

4) No 1 or 2 year contract. Month to Month - how I like it. Able to switch carriers would be great but not necessary.

Can you recommend a phone?

Mike

(Seriously! WTF with itunes. that's like a marketing campaign right there:
"It's like the iPhone, but without iTunes.")

Well, Mike, here's the deal.

It really comes down, based on what you requesting, whether or not you want the flip out keyboard. Personally, I'm using a G1, and I can't imagine not having a full querty physical keyboard. The onscreen cupcake keyboard is good, but when you are really hammering out the texts or email, only a real keyboard will do.

If you are going to go through a carrier, you are pretty well going to be married to T-Mo for the near future. (I'm sure this will change, but as for now, they are the only carrier that's officially supporting android) Now, the upside is, of course, you could go ahead and just buy a used G1 and unlock or an unlocked phone and throw in on AT&Ts network, if you so choose. (not sure where you are on your current contract).

As for the applications, I'd recommend you get a phone and then learn how to root it. Root access gives you pretty much full access on your phone, from apps, to unapproved apps, to user generated OS builds, the list goes on and on. When you root, everything you can imagine is fully customizable, but it will take a little bit of learning how on your part. If you are willing to learn, and read, you can make Android do just about anything you'd like it to. :p

Any other questions? Hit me in a PM.

Crack

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones