• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

REQUEST: Google Calendar Quick Add Widget

chadmd23

Android Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2009
NYC
I would like a widget that allows plain text entry of calendar events, like the interface on the real website. Here is an example of how it could look.

Thanks!

gcalquickadd.jpg

I have just tested it in the 1.5 emulator. There do not appear to be any problems with it, but I can't test the voice functionality on the 1.5. The quick add function (manually) works fine in 1.5. I will be uploading a 1.5 version shortly.

As an FYI, to use the quick add functionality you will need to input your gmail id and password. There is no way to get a hold of Google authentication in 1.5 and 1.6 that you put into the OS. This information is not stored anywhere on the phone unless you explicitly set the checkmark. If you do decide to store it, your password is encrypted prior to storage on the device.

**EDIT: 1.5 version is up. Let me know if you have any issues. **

Upvote 0
OK, I will look into it. You're putting in your full email address "xyz@gmail.com" and password "abcde"? 401 is unauthorized error, so there is a problem with your credentials for some reason.

** EDIT: I retested the add function with a dummy gmail account and didn't encounter any problems. Are you sure you put the password in right? **

Upvote 0
I like Qwiklist, but why do I have to double confirm adding an event to the calendar? At the bottom after I say something I hit the calendar button, then it brings up another page confirming my gmail login (which won't change). It would be nice if I could skip that step since it's unnecessary.

I included this step to be able to edit the add before sending it off, because the voice recognition provided by Google is sometimes goofy, and even when accurate sometimes doesn't include everything you want to add. This allows quick easy edit and one button add if everything is as you like it.

Upvote 0
I included this step to be able to edit the add before sending it off, because the voice recognition provided by Google is sometimes goofy, and even when accurate sometimes doesn't include everything you want to add. This allows quick easy edit and one button add if everything is as you like it.

So why not have that edit option on the first page with the Qwik send to calendar button? You can see what it recorded there and re-record it if you like, so how about putting in an edit option? Or maybe an option to skip the second confirm if you want to?

Upvote 0
So why not have that edit option on the first page with the Qwik send to calendar button? You can see what it recorded there and re-record it if you like, so how about putting in an edit option? Or maybe an option to skip the second confirm if you want to?

This is in fact a really good idea and something I have been thinking about doing as it would be an easy and useful change. Look for it in a release soon.

Upvote 0
Just to clarify: Android 1.5 OS and up included "RecognizerIntent" which allowed voice to text. I have reports of the program working on phones running 1.5, including (I believe) the Eris. However, there ARE phones where the voice to text has been disabled for whatever ludicrous reason. These include the Samsung Moment (Sprint) and certain internation versions of the Motorola Milestone. Bottom line: if you can use Google Voice Search/Voice Dialer, QwikList will work.

QwikList will also work with manual text entry any on any phone 1.5 or higher, including the Moment and the Milestone.

Upvote 0
Not at present, but I can easily add it. I am planning an update for tomorrow or early next week, and I will include it in preferences there. The reason I did this is because if the add fails (out of network range, server failure, error in username/password) then you would have to reinput your add phrase. This way, you can just go to the list and by long pressing attempt to add it again quickly.

Another alternative would be to create an additional "Quick Cal Add" list where all the items get put into that list; this way they don't end up in your shopping list but are stored so you can retry if there is a failure. What do you think?

Upvote 0
Another alternative would be to create an additional "Quick Cal Add" list where all the items get put into that list; this way they don't end up in your shopping list but are stored so you can retry if there is a failure. What do you think?

This would work. I didn't even know trying to re-add this way was an option, but it's good to know in the future.

Upvote 0
That sounds like a reasonable way to proceed. You can press and hold on both lists and items to bring up the context menu which lets you edit, delete, share, send by sms, etc etc. The update I am working on will let you drag left or right in the items screen to move to the next/previous list. It will also include the improvement you have suggested.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones