• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help (Resolved) Will an unlocked sprint ONE work on any other carrier?

you are better off getting a gsm specific phone from T-mo for example rather than use a sprint version. Sprint is cdma first and has a couple freqs for limited international use. meaning it has a couple of the most common freqs but not all gsm freqs that a gsm based model will have.

of course anything is possible, but you would get less hassle with a gsm version of this device.

my opinion of course and i am not a phone expert.

Hi

some many posts but very confusing.

i want to buy a htc one sprint. can i use it globally incl GSM ? if so wat shud i do. i want to CDMA to. mostly i wil use it outside USA. ?

Shud the phone be rooted / flashed or unlock code from sprint ll do ?

Upvote 0
The Sprint variant will work in most overseas markets without issue. As an international traveler I have yet to find somewhere my phone would not work. Be aware though, with Sprint there is a 90 day "hold" before you can unlock the SIM. This means that you will be carrier locked to Sprint and their roaming partners (which means insane roaming charges).

After the 90 days you can contact the international department and they will complete the request to unlock your phone, shoot you and email advising you to reboot your phone (if it did not automatically reboot) and then you can pop in any international GSM or CDMA/CDMA2000 SIM overseas

Upvote 0
Lot of potential misinformation in your post.

It's funny to scroll through this thread and see just how many people will respond to someones post so negatively. If they say they have seen an actual Sprint branded hTC One device that has been SIM unlocked currently working on the T-Mobile network what in the world makes you think they are lying ??? What is there to gain from posting this online if they didn't , in fact, see it with their own two eyes?? Anyway, I am posting to say that I am currently using my Sprint branded, SIM unlocked hTC One on the T-Mobile Pre-Paid network. As they stated in their original post, the LTE does not work and if I turn on WiFi or lose my signal I don't have data again until I reboot my phone, but the One IS a world phone and is capable of operating under any carrier be it CDMA or GSM as long as you have either used Google to look up the unlock method ( or simply downloaded the app from the Play store called "Sprint hTC One SIM unlock tool" ) Now stop being ridiculous and lets all move on to posting things that are actually helpful to the rest of us instead of this stupid pointing the finger at everyone else because you know it all bullshit! A majority of the time you people end up looking like a moron and it just clutters up the threads for the rest of us! Thanks!

Upvote 0
Thanks for name calling and acting high and mighty now that the phone has been out for 4 months.

At the time of my post, all we had to go by was a faulty HTC specs publication, and technology blogs in disagreement with one another over what radios the phone versions had.

My warning at the time - with the use of the word "potential" was on-topic.

If you're in the mood to call me further names or have more rocks to throw, drop me a line.

You can tell me more about myself at that point.

Meanwhile, thanks for your opinion, glad your phone is working perfectly for you.

Now go ahead and tell SolApathy how you got it working when he couldn't, as you seem to have a point about being helpful.

And I apologize for my skepticism back when the phone was 2 weeks old.

Upvote 0
Anyone have any experience with getting a phone unlocked with Sprint. I called to have my HTC One unlocked for international sim and the first person said I would need to input a code in to the phone...the 2nd person said the unlock was already pushed to the phone and it is unlocked. They indicate no way to test prior to attempting to put in the 3rd party sim overseas. Anybody know a way to check?

Upvote 0
as listed below, there is a 90 day wait period. as long as you are past the 90 days you can unlock the sim.

there is a special option to press when calling into sprint to get to international roaming after you call the main sprint number. call again if you dont get any success or head over to retentions and they will help.

Anyone have any experience with getting a phone unlocked with Sprint. I called to have my HTC One unlocked for international sim and the first person said I would need to input a code in to the phone...the 2nd person said the unlock was already pushed to the phone and it is unlocked. They indicate no way to test prior to attempting to put in the 3rd party sim overseas. Anybody know a way to check?

The Sprint variant will work in most overseas markets without issue. As an international traveler I have yet to find somewhere my phone would not work. Be aware though, with Sprint there is a 90 day "hold" before you can unlock the SIM. This means that you will be carrier locked to Sprint and their roaming partners (which means insane roaming charges).

After the 90 days you can contact the international department and they will complete the request to unlock your phone, shoot you and email advising you to reboot your phone (if it did not automatically reboot) and then you can pop in any international GSM or CDMA/CDMA2000 SIM overseas

Upvote 0
Hi all,

The worst finally happened: my old Galaxy S3 went out, and I'm 6 months away from my upgrade date. I decided to buy a used HTC One on eBay. I got one in good condition for the decent price of $220 (the 32 GB one).

The phone is locked on Sprint and I'm loyal to AT&T for their vast coverage of the great country state of Texas. I have heard of some sites that offer "unlocking services" where you pay them $20 or so and send them the IMEI of a phone and the carrier it's locked to and they send you the unlock code.

Does anyone have any good experience with these sites or have a method they would like to reccommend? Money is a little tight right now, so I'd like to get the unlock code as cheaply as possible. :D

Upvote 0
Hi all,

The worst finally happened: my old Galaxy S3 went out, and I'm 6 months away from my upgrade date. I decided to buy a used HTC One on eBay. I got one in good condition for the decent price of $220 (the 32 GB one).

The phone is locked on Sprint and I'm loyal to AT&T for their vast coverage of the great country state of Texas. I have heard of some sites that offer "unlocking services" where you pay them $20 or so and send them the IMEI of a phone and the carrier it's locked to and they send you the unlock code.

Does anyone have any good experience with these sites or have a method they would like to reccommend? Money is a little tight right now, so I'd like to get the unlock code as cheaply as possible. :D

I used this site.
UnlockCode247.com Fast & Cheaper Unlock Code Service

I got my code. However, you may not be able to use data on AT&T ;) Different frequencies, and Sprint also uses CDMA, not GSM, for 3G. Better do some research and make sure it'll work.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
It's a software based restriction that does not allow for the other SIM's to work with the phone. However even if that restriction is bypassed you can't utilize the high speed data because the Sprint version does not support those frequencies.

I have the Sprint variant of the One (M7).. I unlocked the SIM.. and switched to T-mobile.. it took a bit of fiddling, but after about 4 days, I got the phone to work with the T-mobile Sim.. and got 3G data.. I am now on AT&T.. THIS is NOT working.. I am near the Canadian border.. so I can pick up the Bell signal, but the phone will not see AT&T nor T-mobile when the AT&T SIM is inserted.. it works fine with the T-Mo SIM.

Reactions: brotherswing
Upvote 0
I have a HTC ATT M7 working on t-mobile LTE flashed with viper one. I love the phone and rom.

From what I read HTC one m7 are all the same hardware. The rom is different read the last post on https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/70533
"
  • I have a solution that will work however I offer this with no-warranty and for a use at your own risk, however I can say I have done this for maybe about 60 T-Mobile customers who brought their HTC One m7 from AT&T. I have done this as well. HTC m7 phone are all built with the exact same parts, the only thing that makes the phone operate differently is the firmware for the baseband, and of course the rom. However HTC offer's a RUU (Rom Upgrade Utility) right on their support page. This reinstalls the android os, along with new baseband and firmware versions. All you have to do is run the T-Mobile HTC One m7 RUU that is on the HTC website. You can use the link here to download the RUU from the HTC website. It generally about 1GB in file size, as this is not just the Android OS, but this is the software for the phone's hardware to flash it from an AT&T HTC One to a T-Mobile HTC One.This will also enable your phone to receive Over-The-Air updates from T-Mobile as well. Again I and T-Mobile will not support this. However I can say from personal experience and also on behalf of the people I done this for that it works. *Also you will get to enjoy the T-Mobile Wi-Fi Calling as well.
"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones