• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Restore Droid to Factory Firmware

Well, I successfully messed everything up. I had just gotten my 2.1 Droid rooted, WiFi tethered, and CPU overclocked, but of course I was too ambitious. I attempted to follow this guide to force YouTube to always stream High Quality videos, even over 3G. After rebooting the phone it infinite rebooted at the white "DROID" logo. I rebooted back into recovery mode, dig some digging, and found out that somehow (and I honestly have no idea how; I was very careful with the commands, and I'm very familiar with the Unix commandline) managed to remove everything in the /system/apps folder except for YouTube.obex. Crushed, I tried restoring via nandroid with no success. (Kept getting error 21.)

I tried to redownload the 2.1 update, but it failed whenever verifying the /system/apps directory. I have been able to flash CyanogenMod, but I'd really like to restore back to the official firmware. I'm bummed that I lost all my user data, but if I can just get my phone back to stock (minus the SPRecovery, of course) I'll be happy.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones