• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Restore only part of my backup

Long story short, my phone was just bricked. If you want the readers digest version, the battery died, I plugged it in but didn't wait long enough before turning it on, and as it was booting up while charging it died again, which caused a bootloop. I did a backup to my sd card through recovery mode, then left my phone and went to sleep as it was finishing. When I woke up, my phone was hot and completely bricked. Straight Talk is sending me a free replacement. I was running on cm10 nightly (I think my last update was 6/16/13.

This is my plan, can somebody tell me if you think it'll work?

- Install the same cm10 nightly update that the old phone had
- Create a backup of my new phone to the sd card
- Replace the "Data" file of the backup of the original phone with the "Data" file of the backup from my new phone
- Restore the backup of the new phone with the old data file

Do y'all think this will work? Hopefully it wasn't anything in the data file that caused the bootloop!

Oh and btw when I would reset the cache before it bricked, it would turn on and say "Updating apps" and it would go through all 150 or so, then when it said "Starting Apps", it would stop and wouldn't go any further.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones