1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Restore Vortex to stock

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by OhSeven, Nov 12, 2011.

1. OhSeven

OhSeven Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Skip these, use this process instead

Disclaimer: I hardly know the ins and outs of this. This is just putting together all the info I’ve gathered from the web and from the mistakes I made doing this. That also means there might be a much easier or more efficient way to do this. Easy procedures are out there for other phones, but I don’t know how to prepare the materials to do that for the Vortex.

OVERVIEW: This assumes the phone is rooted with a custom ROM and recovery.
    -Flash stock ROM
    -Flash stock recovery
    -Remove Superuser app
    -Remove root access

REQUIRED FILES
    -Stock 2.2.2 ROM provided by Geofferey. unzip the files into a folder without spaces in the name. Place folder in /sdcard/nandroid/mem=447M/ (not sure if folder name is variable, use what you have there. If the directory doesn't exist, perform a nandroid backup and it will be created)

-Stock recovery provided by getitnowmarketing. unzip and place in root directory of sdcard

-flash_image provided by drellisdee. unzip and place in root directory of sdcard)

-Gingerbreak 1.2
    -A file manager from Market to install Gingerbreak
    -Terminal Emulator from Market or adb

Step 1 Flash stock ROM
    -Enter custom recovery mode. Typical way is to hold HOME+VOL_DOWN+POWER when the phone is off.
    -Go to backup/restore, and create a nand backup of what you have now if you like
    -Use nand restore, select the folder of the stock ROM you placed there earlier
    -Go back to main menu > wipe, and wipe 3 things: Data/factory reset, cache, Dalvik cache
    -reboot from main menu

Step 2 Flash stock recovery
    Install Gingerbreak, enable USB Debugging (Settings > Applications > Development), and root the phone. Then enter these commands from the prompt. You can use adb for the commands in this section, but I can’t so I used the Terminal Emulator app.

Step 3
    Remove Superuser app

As before, use adb or the Terminal Emulator to enter the following commands:

Next, perform a factory reset (enter recovery as before or Settings>Privacy>Factory reset)

Step 4
    Removing root access*
    Install and use Gingerbreak 1.2 to unroot. Don't forget to enable USB Debugging. After the phone restarts, uninstall any apps that were added for the process.

Edit: *Step 4 might not be necessary. I thought I had to do it once before, but going through it now, it was not required.

Advertisement

mel2000 likes this.
  2. Fward1208

Fward1208 Lurker
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    It seems that megaupload is no more, or at least it is down. Can you upload the files to mediafire please?

3. OhSeven

None

Mar 5, 2011
    Changed the link, and I think the all-in-one recovery thread could work with the stock recovery to make it easier. I haven't gotten around to checking

mel2000 likes this.
  4. Jared631

Jared631 Member
    None

Jan 5, 2012
    Male
    Head Developr of RDashINC
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, it works quite a bit better.

5. jlstark1

jlstark1 Lurker
    None

Dec 26, 2012
    I have the BreakNeckMod3 custom ROM on the LG Vortex using the recommended Custom Recovery Vortex/Thunderc-xzw. I am trying to get the phone back to stock so I can sell it.

I have tried using the nand restore option as directed in the OP and it starts and then says "oops...something went wrong! Please check the recovery log!" which I have not done because I'm not sure where the log is.

I have tried the later suggested zip method and I get a message that says "Zip verification failed! Zip isn't signed correctly! Installation aborted"

If anyone has any suggestions or thoughts I would appreciate hearing them...or in this case reading them.

Thanks,
    Jeff

6. OhSeven

None

Mar 5, 2011
Tags: