• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Restore Vortex to stock

OhSeven

Android Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2011
Skip these, use this process instead

Disclaimer: I hardly know the ins and outs of this. This is just putting together all the info I’ve gathered from the web and from the mistakes I made doing this. That also means there might be a much easier or more efficient way to do this. Easy procedures are out there for other phones, but I don’t know how to prepare the materials to do that for the Vortex.

OVERVIEW: This assumes the phone is rooted with a custom ROM and recovery.
-Flash stock ROM
-Flash stock recovery
-Remove Superuser app
-Remove root access

REQUIRED FILES
-Stock 2.2.2 ROM provided by Geofferey. unzip the files into a folder without spaces in the name. Place folder in /sdcard/nandroid/mem=447M/ (not sure if folder name is variable, use what you have there. If the directory doesn't exist, perform a nandroid backup and it will be created)

-Stock recovery provided by getitnowmarketing. unzip and place in root directory of sdcard

-flash_image provided by drellisdee. unzip and place in root directory of sdcard)

-Gingerbreak 1.2
-A file manager from Market to install Gingerbreak
-Terminal Emulator from Market or adb

Step 1 Flash stock ROM
-Enter custom recovery mode. Typical way is to hold HOME+VOL_DOWN+POWER when the phone is off.
-Go to backup/restore, and create a nand backup of what you have now if you like
-Use nand restore, select the folder of the stock ROM you placed there earlier
-Go back to main menu > wipe, and wipe 3 things: Data/factory reset, cache, Dalvik cache
-reboot from main menu

Step 2 Flash stock recovery
Install Gingerbreak, enable USB Debugging (Settings > Applications > Development), and root the phone. Then enter these commands from the prompt. You can use adb for the commands in this section, but I can’t so I used the Terminal Emulator app.
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-dump-v.img
reboo
t

Step 3
Remove Superuser app

As before, use adb or the Terminal Emulator to enter the following commands:
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

Next, perform a factory reset (enter recovery as before or Settings>Privacy>Factory reset)

Step 4
Removing root access*
Install and use Gingerbreak 1.2 to unroot. Don't forget to enable USB Debugging. After the phone restarts, uninstall any apps that were added for the process.

Edit: *Step 4 might not be necessary. I thought I had to do it once before, but going through it now, it was not required.

Reactions: mel2000
I have the BreakNeckMod3 custom ROM on the LG Vortex using the recommended Custom Recovery Vortex/Thunderc-xzw. I am trying to get the phone back to stock so I can sell it.

I have tried using the nand restore option as directed in the OP and it starts and then says "oops...something went wrong! Please check the recovery log!" which I have not done because I'm not sure where the log is.

I have tried the later suggested zip method and I get a message that says "Zip verification failed! Zip isn't signed correctly! Installation aborted"

If anyone has any suggestions or thoughts I would appreciate hearing them...or in this case reading them.

Thanks,
Jeff

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones