• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Restricted (second) user can´t login after device reboot

veloc

Lurker
Nov 3, 2021
Hi Forum,

this concerns the following device:
Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 (SM-T500)
One UI Core-Version 3.1
Android Version 11

and the following scenario:
one of my users is tasked with entering data into a website using the Galaxy Tab as an input device - she should not be able to do anything else with the device. So I´ve created a second, restricted user which can only use the Chrome browser.

First tests showed all working as intended until I rebooted the device - now the restricted user can´t log in if the main user hasn´t logged in first: on the lockscreen the second user is greyed out until the main user has logged in.

Now the question:
How do I allow the restricted user to login without an Admin logging in first?

Best and TIA,
veloc

OK,
in a desperate attempt to get an answer I reached out to the (german) Samsung support (since I received no answer, neither here nor in the german forum where I originally posted the question:
(Site address removed. Address not needed)
I will post the german original answer here as a quote, translation will be written below.
Here is what the support wrote me:
Tatsächlich ist nach einem Neustart die Nutzung des eingeschränkten Nutzer erst möglich, wenn der Hauptnutzer alles entsperrt hat. Wenn das Gerät im Stand-By ist, dann kann der andere Nutzer direkt darauf zugreifen, jedoch nicht nach einem Neustart. Das kann im System auch nicht geändert werden
Translation:
In fact, after a restart, the restricted user can only use it once the main user has unlocked everything. If the device is in stand-by, the other user can access it directly, but not after a restart. This cannot be changed in the system either

When I asked whether this behaviour is Android (11) specific or an addition by Samsung, the answer was:
Das ist auf jeden Fall bei Samsung immer der Fall, ob es aber komplett Android-spezifisch ist, kann ich dir nicht sagen.
Translation:
This is definitely always the case with Samsung, but I cannot tell you whether it is completely Android-specific.

:(

Could someone check whether this is Samsung specific or is actually happening on all Android-tablets?
According to https://source.android.com/devices/tech/admin/multi-user, the function "Restricted Profile" in Android is only available on Tablets and TVs.

Best and TIA,
veloc

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones