• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Resumes

Bob Maxey

Android Expert
Sep 24, 2010
Well, it is resume update time, so I took a "Today's Resume" class through the LDS Employment Service. Say what you want about Mormons, but every service they offer is well considered and highly detailed.

The LDS Church has a reputation and when they call and make an appointment with a potential employer, they are listened to. Unlike the various employment services or our DWS, the LDS make it their job number one to put you to work. I was not tossed to the wolves and wished good luck, a Mormon elder calls employers and sets the appointment; I did not have to wait for the employer to call me.

Just setting up my personal LDS web page took four hours and it was a simple "fill in the forms" affair. Every line was fully explained, detailed and worked over until it was perfect.

Things I learned in no particular order:

Resumes must be one page in length.

Short forms and brevity means short sentences and the other grammatically "incorrect" (according to Word) sentences required these days make for a green squiggle filled document. So many recommend you convert your resume to PDF so "errors" do not fill the page and make the document hard to read and perhaps tossed.

You have 30-60 seconds to wow a hiring manager, so you need a powerful "Objectives" statement no longer than 90 words. You need to interest the HR people ASAP so they keep reading.

Fold your resume in half, fold the top inch over and the space left over is what usually sells or fails to sell you to the hiring manager.

Many HR people now use "Crawlers" to see how many key words in your resume match what the HR wonk is specifically looking for in a candidate.

No more mailing address on your resume. Add email and a phone number.

Years you worked at a company are not needed; they will get that info from your job application.

Resumes must be specifically targeted to the position you apply for. This means you need two, three, ten resumes, custom targeted.

Cover letters are mandatory and very specific.

If you are creative and you say so in your resume, you must also give examples and the result achieved. Be prepared to explain every statement or boast in your resume.

After you leave HR's offce, go to your car and quickly write a thank you note. This is one I never considered but some HR people report it helped sell the new employee. Handwritten is better than email.

The HR hiring manager wants to know you CAN, not that you only think you can. If they want to hire a person to run a lathe, they want a lathe operator who can, not a worker who only thinks he can. Saying you think you can says you are not sure you can. Why should the company hire you these days if you are not sure you CAN!

Learn to use Power Words in your resume.

According to some, nearly half of all resumes are simply tossed. About 60 % of the remaining resumes are more carefully reviewed, then filed and never considered again. If posted online, people will not read a long document. They want it short and to the point.

Here in Utah, more than 50% of all jobs are word of mouth so networking is vital. Many jobs are posted because a company knows they will need people to fill future positions.

Watch what you say online. You are Googled these days. You never know what innocent comments tick of some HR manager or other person looking for workers.

Do not be afraid to use use technical jargon in your resume. My resume mentions my particular skill with an HP-3070 In-Circuit Tester, BABT Testing, and other tech crap.

If you use a phrase like “team leader,” make sure you can prove it. Show what team you lead and always provide the end results. Everyone says they are a team leader or team player and these days, HR expects you to justify every word you use; every statement you make in your resume, so avoid useless hype and over-used words.

For example, “problem solver.” Cats and monkeys are problem solvers, after all. What problems did you solve and how did it affect the company? If you can’t provide examples—specific examples—omit them.

Avoid hype and buzz words/phrases:

For example, “salary negotiable.” They know this.

“Detail oriented . . .” They expect you to be detail oriented.

“Hardworking.” They expect you to work hard. Do you really think they want people who are not hard workers?

“Proactive . . .” a completely deflated buzzword, AVOID this particular phrase at all costs!

“Responsible For . . .” Do not use this because being responsible for something is not something you did; it is something that happened to you.

“References available upon request . . .” Never add this. You must put it on your application, but never add it to your resume. Also, omit references from any cover letter as well as your resume.

Anyone want to add to this or deflate these points?

To add to the part about being googled, some employers or people running background checks will ask for Facebook login info. Something to keep in mind.

Luckily i don't have one and i deleted my twitter now that I'm applying to different jobs. All i have to worry about now is my forum accounts but i doubt those are of interest to them.

And +1 for the Mormon thing. They Get $#!+ done!

Reactions: Bob Maxey
Upvote 0
Heard about the FB login info, ridiculous! I recall they were talking about that on the Today Show a while back and how lawful that is. Sounded like it could be, but I'd be wary. Fortunately, I deleted my FB profile. :D
Even still, they'll probably look you up. I know my Pastry chef is looking for candidates and looks all of them up. She's found some who she won't even interview because of what she sees on there. ;)

Upvote 0
Heard about the FB login info, ridiculous! I recall they were talking about that on the Today Show a while back and how lawful that is. Sounded like it could be, but I'd be wary. Fortunately, I deleted my FB profile. :D
Even still, they'll probably look you up. I know my Pastry chef is looking for candidates and looks all of them up. She's found some who she won't even interview because of what she sees on there. ;)

I imagine that potential employers have no extra access to FB than your typical user, correct? If your profile is set to private, then only those who are your friends can access it - which theoretically should help avoid any issues whatsoever.

Upvote 0
To add to the part about being googled, some employers or people running background checks will ask for Facebook login info. Something to keep in mind.

Luckily i don't have one and i deleted my twitter now that I'm applying to different jobs. All i have to worry about now is my forum accounts but i doubt those are of interest to them.

And +1 for the Mormon thing. They Get $#!+ done!

fortunately, I have a FB account that is benign. Nothing bad, just family. They will not get my login information, however. I would not mention forums or they might want the info.

Can tey legally require private info like a FB login and password? Cant they simply "friend" you and read your posts?

I have lived in Utah y entire life and about all I knew growing up was how evil and self-serving the LDS church is. Sad that so many think that. My experience is they are not as bad as their bad press indicates.

THANK YOU!!!! bob maxey. i'm gonna be needing to look for another job soon and i was looking into tweaking my resume. this really helps out so much, you have know idea.

You are welcome!.

Oddly enough, as I dig deeper into modern resumes, I am discovering how different they are today compared to just a few years ago. Not to mention, how much I do not know.

I feel confident I will find something interesting to do. I am so well qualified, I fear I will be one of those "over qualified" types one reads about. Not sure how you can be over qualified. Perhaps meritocracy is the new qualified?

GL with your search.

In the UK, our limit for CV pages is 2. However, in IT we're "Allowed" 3. There's no way you could get an IT job in the UK with 1 page. In this economy, I'll wager even cleaners have 2 pages here.

Interesting how different you are from us.

I just looked at a CV that landed a CEO type a new CEO job. It was massive and very detailed. My old resume was a novel. Then it became Cliff Notes. Now, it is a blurb on the back of a dime novel.

Folks, just remember, the qualified amongst you with a good resume and legitimate qualifications for the job stands a chance of landing that job. I have actually helped others eliminate jobs by improving production so I know some local companies cannot seem to find qualified people.

I talked with a company looking for a welder. One candidate arrived and asked about the soldering equipment. He did not know the difference between soldering and welding. Another arrived and thought the company could show him how to weld.

Another local concern is looking for SMT solder techs. Most that apply cannot solder worth a darn.One test board had backwards chips and most had solder bridges.

I did not get another job with that company because I was not a web designer. This was a job for someone to manage PVT (Production Verification Test) runs for new products. Not sure why web design is in any way part of the job.

It is like hospitals looking for doctors that also need to be able to fly helicopters or operate a dishwasher. Is this the future? Engineers must also design web sites and web site designers must be able to repair a heart valve?

So I wonder if people are not working or finding it hard to find a job is because they are unqualified and companies want experience; if they are daft and cant read English or if some companies are laying people off and making existing workers work harder? the last one I think is part of it.

Anyway, back OT: perhaps I'll post my humble resume for critique?

The FB user posts about downloading warez or new movies. The FB user that is shown drunk or boasting about being arrested. The FB user that is shown smoking a bong. The FB user that posts nasty things about Apple or Android . . . make your own list; it is likely endless and you do not know what innocent comment will come back to bite you.

Is it possible that those that want to and in fact, demand to write or post absolutely everything will ever wake up and learn that they have made a huge mistake excerpting freedom of speech?

They cannot be stopped because it is their right, but will they learn that excersizing their right might keep them from working?

It is tough. Lots of things hiring managers can access to perform a pre-death autopsy. The more I look into actually working, the more clueless I am about the job hunting process.

Upvote 0
The FB user posts about downloading warez or new movies. The FB user that is shown drunk or boasting about being arrested. The FB user that is shown smoking a bong. The FB user that posts nasty things about Apple or Android . . . make your own list; it is likely endless and you do not know what innocent comment will come back to bite you.

Is it possible that those that want to and in fact, demand to write or post absolutely everything will ever wake up and learn that they have made a huge mistake excerpting freedom of speech?

They cannot be stopped because it is their right, but will they learn that excersizing their right might keep them from working?

It is tough. Lots of things hiring managers can access to perform a pre-death autopsy. The more I look into actually working, the more clueless I am about the job hunting process.

Also like the people walking around with metal bars through various parts of their body, neck tatoos and general freakish look. They may be university graduates, but their choices with regard to their personal appearance will keep them from anything but a Mc Donald's job interview. Just how it is.

Upvote 0
Also like the people walking around with metal bars through various parts of their body, neck tatoos and general freakish look. They may be university graduates, but their choices with regard to their personal appearance will keep them from anything but a Mc Donald's job interview. Just how it is.

Very true from what I am learning. Tats and piercings might likely kill you. Cover that tat before you are interviewed. I think people that have them are not aware that appearances do matter and they might like them, but they might not get hired.

It really depends upon the company, I suppose. Then again, perhaps not.

Upvote 0
so i have done resumes, but i never have had to do a cover letter. any recommendations or tips?

Spell the recruiter's name correctly as well as the company name. Proof read and catch the punctuation errors and misteakes spelling errores and speeleng erors. One page only.

The letter should be specific to the company and the job. And it is said that you ALWAYS send a cover letter.

GL to you.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Spell the recruiter's name correctly as well as the company name. Proof read and catch the punctuation errors and misteakes spelling errores and speeleng erors. One page only.

The letter should be specific to the company and the job. And it is said that you ALWAYS send a cover letter.

GL to you.

should i be brief or should i go into detail as introducing myself. i believe that is what a cover letter is for, right? it is to introduce myself and let the employer know what i can bring to the table.

and again mainy thanx

Upvote 0
should i be brief or should i go into detail as introducing myself. i believe that is what a cover letter is for, right? it is to introduce myself and let the employer know what i can bring to the table.

and again mainy thanx

i was having trouble with my cover letters so i looked online for samples. In the end it ended up being sort of a "prequel" to my actual resume. Not overfilled with info. just a taste. i havent looked at my resume in a while so i cant be more descriptive than that. search around and get some inspiration.

Upvote 0
Interesting how different you are from us.

In the US and Canada, you're a lot more focused on qualifications where as here, its experience.

We have a lot of ridiculous outfits such as SkillsTrain "get on the skills train and retrain for a career in IT" which is all very well but the people they churn out are green and often lack the logical and methodical aproach which is hardly conducive with a support function role.

Someone who is technical and can prove they can work in support continually are valuable to prospective employers. To prove this takes space on a CV. Particularly if you're a contractor as I was.

My CV consists of:

Personal profile

Key skills (bullet points)

Job history (tailored per role)

Education

Although I don't want to share it here Bob, if you're interested what a UK IT cv may look like for an unqualified guy, send me a pm :)

Of course I can't claim they're all like that but it works for everyone I know

Upvote 0
sample_good_l.jpg

(The above photo is a sample and is not a real resume...)

In Japan we have a pre-formatted resume template.
it has to be hand written but it makes things a hell of a lot easier.

As an employer I look for unnecessary abbreviation and use of white out.
Apparently it is a big no-no on japanese resumes, so even though I don't care, it works as an indicator whether the applicant has common sense or not.

i think the Japanese format requires the employer to be creative and thoughtful in asking questions in an interview whereas the US/ UK resume allows the interviewee to be creative and lead the interviewer to ask questions that the interviewee wants to be asked.

Reactions: ocnbrze and SUroot
Upvote 0
(The above photo is a sample and is not a real resume...)

In Japan we have a pre-formatted resume template.
it has to be hand written but it makes things a hell of a lot easier.

As an employer I look for unnecessary abbreviation and use of white out.
Apparently it is a big no-no on japanese resumes, so even though I don't care, it works as an indicator whether the applicant has common sense or not.

i think the Japanese format requires the employer to be creative and thoughtful in asking questions in an interview whereas the US/ UK resume allows the interviewee to be creative and lead the interviewer to ask questions that the interviewee wants to be asked.

Glad it is just a sample because Mr. Kurihikeo San misspelled both "McDonalds" and "Wendys."

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones